SilverTron Support and Scientific Info > SilverTron Notes And Support Questions

Troubleshooting

<< < (10/10)

Cher Sherwood:
Oh, I am now realizing I haven't been clear on volts either then. So for 20 ppm uncapped as well as 320 ppm gelatine capped, we are aiming for 10 volts?

kephra:
Correct. 
Minimum target voltage depends on electrode spacing.
Electrolyte depends on water volume.
Reducing agent depends on water volume and ppm (total amount of silver dispensed in water)

Cher Sherwood:
I'm so glad I'm clear on this now. For some reason I was aiming for about 16 volts with 320ppm.

This has also now brought up something I did when I very first started and it's a bit embarrassing to admit because it was such a dumb thing to do. In trying to figure out how to clean the electrodes with a blowtorch without burning myself, I lifted the electrode holder with the electrodes still in place and started cleaning the small silver rod...which of course got so hot it melted the perfect predrilled hole and now I can never be completely sure of spacing because it makes the electrode using that hole floppy. I know what you're thinking...ridiculous thing to do! It absolutely was and I have no excuse for not thinking about what would happen. So, now with understanding that spacing is so important and plays such an important role with voltage, I should probably drill 2 new holes in my lid so I have nice straight holes for spacing and the electrode doesn't move with the stirring, shouldn't I?

kephra:
Ah, its just a flesh wound, its still usable.

Art:
I usually start my run around 16 volts for a 250 ml 320 ppm and don't have any problems.

Art

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version