Author Topic: Large batch using a stainless steel pot  (Read 1343 times)

louiskline

Large batch using a stainless steel pot
« on: December 14, 2018, 11:09:04 PM »
I was thinking that in order to make larger quantities of silver and gold using electrolysis, I’d use a big stainless steel pot. Even if I put some kind of buffer (like some wood) in between the the silver/gold so they aren’t  touching the pot, I’m worried that the steel might cause some problems. I don’t want to make colloidal silver/gold with steel in it. Also, I wouldn’t need to use more silver/gold (surface area) per batch right? Thanks!

louiskline

Re: Large batch using a stainless steel pot
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 11:40:14 PM »
Thanks. I figured but wanted to ask to be certain

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 04:22:53 AM »
How about a 1 gallon pickle or condiment jar?  Clean it well to get all the pickle smell out of it and that should do it.  You'll have to make a different electrode holder though because the diameter of the rim for one of these is different than that of a mason jar.  Small problem to have to solve to now make Colloidal Silver in gallons though.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »
If you can get a polythene bin of the type used for brewing beer, and it has a food-grade designation, (i,e, it doesn't leach out nasty chemicals), or is actually sold for beer brewing, then you could use that.

I used one of these (20 ltr) for many years for making room-temperature Colloidal Silver with a stirrer (essential) consisting of a miniature aquarium pump. You could even use an aquarium heater to increase the temperature up to about 35 degrees C (about 95 degrees F) if you wish.

I now use 3 ltr laboratory glassware, because I can simmer the DW. Nevertheless, the polythene bin would still be perfectly affective

Offline drewcifer

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 05:40:13 AM »
Pickle jars are a good way to go. The ones you find in bulk containers at most supermarkets are 80 ounces. The value of the glass alone offsets the cost of the (less than) $5 for the whole jar (pickles and all.) Besides, who doesn't like dill pickles?

I thought there might be a problem with washing away the pickle/vinegar smell, but it was easy. You can easily be fooled into thinking that your washing out the jar isn't working if you are using the jar lid to shake up some hot water and detergent (it's the lid that's actually the hardest to get rid of the smell.)

I plan to use three of these jars simultaneously, each one with 70 or so ounces of water, right now I'm running 3 normal quart jars with 800 ml. This will be a nice step up. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow to buy the last of the 3 "big-ass-pickle-jars."
'Bohr was inconsistent, unclear, willfully obscure and right'
'Einstein was consistent, clear, down to earth and wrong'
—John Bell
(1928-1990)

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 11:50:27 AM »
When you say 80 oz, what does that equate to in Ltrs, please? Is it US fl. oz. or Imperial?

Offline drewcifer

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 06:41:23 AM »
US ounces (approx. 33.8 oz per liter.) So an 80-ounce pickle jar is 2.37 liters. I plan on filling each of these jars to 2 liters or approx. 70 ounces. I will run 3 cells at a time each @ 20 mA's, producing 6 liters of 320ppm in 8 hours.
'Bohr was inconsistent, unclear, willfully obscure and right'
'Einstein was consistent, clear, down to earth and wrong'
—John Bell
(1928-1990)

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 09:35:52 PM »
Drewcifer- I would love to see a picture of your set up to understand your set up better. Thanks in advance if you take and post a pic!
The only thing you can control in life is your reaction.