Author Topic: Effects of colloidal silver on gut microbial (gut flora).  (Read 5070 times)

pssilver

Effects of colloidal silver on gut microbial (gut flora).
« on: July 15, 2018, 07:43:03 PM »
Wondering if Colloidal Silver has the same effect as any other antibotics which wipe out all gut bacteria (including good ones)? 

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Effects of colloidal silver on gut microbial (gut flora).
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 08:35:07 PM »
No one has reported such problems, so probably not. 
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 01:07:49 PM »
No one has reported such problems, so probably not.
Yes, I have never had any issues, either with myself or anyone else, that indicate a problem with the gut becoming "sterilised". I have no theories as to what is occurring, unfortunately.

pureequine

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:06:42 PM »
FWIW, and keep in mind this is entirely anecdotal about a different species

I have seen significant gut issues in horses that are consistently fed Colloidal Silver and Colloidal Silver containing products.  I can explain more in depth if you want but that's the bones of it.

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 07:25:32 AM »
Using uncapped AGNPs may be the problem. I have had minor digestion issues when using uncapped AGNPs, but little to no problem when using capped AGNPs.

Art

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 07:33:09 PM »
It has been said that Colloidal Silver is non-selective.  If its a "bug", it hates it (wink).  Its also been said that the cell walls of intestinal flora are much thicker than true pathogens and as such, survive better.

The other thing is, even if the Colloidal Silver got a couple percent of your intestinal flora, it matters little.  As Kephra said, we literally have POUNDS of it in our digestive system.

BTW, here's a bit of interesting trivia.  Fresh made sauerkraut (stuff thats NOT pasteurized and yes its easy to make at home in about a week, longer if you want it more sour) has more active cultures per pound than even yogurt.

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 08:10:27 PM »
I have read some studies on the subject, and consensus seems to be that ingestion of Colloidal Silver will influence the composition of gut flora (potentially creating some imbalance) as well as a protein imbalance, but nothing so serious that the body could not correct that itself. Unless, of course, ingestion is exaggerated.

RedDogJT

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 12:47:06 AM »
This is not clear. Kephra posted an article about particle size, and which is best.  (10nm to 20nm) and he quoted the Journal of Nanobiotechnology study done on concentrations and particle sizes from 10nm to 110nm.  But that article contradicts what he said.

Conclusions
The results of this study show that small-size (10nm) AgNP have significant effects on intestinal permeability in an in vitro
model of the human gastrointestinal epithelium. Such effects have the potential to compromise the integrity of the
intestinal epithelium and this disruption of barrier function could have health consequences for the gastrointestinal tract.

It did not mention anything smaller than 10nm, like the 0.8nm size as being toxic as he implied.  This article concludes in vitro models show 10-20nm are bad.

There is mention of the lack of ability to tell how much are ions versus particles in the solution, but it does point to silver in that size range (and smaller) as a potential cause for gut issues (say leaky gut).   That is disturbing.

RedDogJT

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 05:21:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  It just seemed odd considering his background that he would use a study which was trying to determine if nano-silver was safe to use on food products and packaging.  They concluded that it was not.  Granted they were using a specific line of cultured colon cells in vitro, but they did show an interesting aspect of silver particles ability to penetrate the tight junctions of the intestines which caused damage and cell death.  More importantly, it seemed to indicate a possible causal link to leaky gut syndrome.  A disorder which many current doctors like to point to as the linchpin to so many health disorders.
So when you say "in practice, this has not been a problem",  have you or others on this board ever experienced IBS like symptoms you've attributed to something else?  I see Kephra has developed diverticulitis, a basic inflammation of part of the colon, not and unexpected outcome from long term nano-silver usage, if this study is correct.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 05:40:04 PM »
The gut microbiome is in the lower bowel. Colloidal silver is absorbed in the upper bowel.

Unless there is an overgrowth issue causing the microbes to grow into the upper bowel, few will die compared to the pounds that are there.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 11:13:16 AM »
The gut microbiome is in the lower bowel. Colloidal silver is absorbed in the upper bowel.

Unless there is an overgrowth issue causing the microbes to grow into the upper bowel, few will die compared to the pounds that are there.
How true!

Everyone I know who has measured it, has lost two pounds in weight when they first use Colloidal Silver. I shudder to think what two pounds of bacteria must look like.

RedDogJT

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 08:06:19 PM »
There has never been any study done beyond what was published in vitro (I assume) so we have no way of knowing the impact on the active human gut system.  Maybe there is a big difference in the absorption of silver in the small intestines versus the large?  But the original posters question is interesting to explore.  Once you've achieved a certain blood serum level of silver (has anybody ever had this tested on themselves?) how does silver distinguish between "good" bacteria and "bad"?

Think I was wrong here is a great study in the same journal;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6875292/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:41:17 PM by RedDogJT »

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 11:10:01 AM »
There are two issues here.

Firstly, I have never, ever heard of anyone getting any issues with any of the "leaky gut" illnesses after taking colloidal silver. colloidal silver has been used since the 1930's without anyone ever knowing the term "leaky gut". It is far more likely that Crohn's disease and IBS are by-products of the excessive use of Roundup before the harvesting of wheat and barley, affecting susceptible individuals.

The second issue, and the reason why we do not necessarily accept all research at face value, is that a lot of research is funded by various branches of Big Pharma. A student will get funding for a research project and will submit his paper and get appropriate marks for it within his educational setting, but the wider dissemination of the results is dependant on the attitude of the research funding body.

If you come up with a piece of research that unequivocally recommends colloidal silver as a replacement antibiotic, it will never see the light of day. Any research which has any phrase within it that urges caution, advises of potential problems or which points out unlikely but vaguely-possible side-effects will be championed and published widely so as to bring it to the attention of the widest-possible audience.

To see this in action, you only have to consider the Argyria problem. Every single time, without a single exception, if a question about Colloidal Silver is asked on "Quora", the communal idea-place for (supposed) experts to contribute, then there will be an instant flurry of idiots who put "Colloidal Silver" into Google and then report (as if it is an authoritative answer) in thunderous tones, that colloidal silver "is dangerous", "will turn you blue", "has no proven anti-bacterial effect" and similar half-truths and nonsense.

Some of these people are well-intentioned and think that they are very intelligent, but they haven't the slightest in-depth knowledge of the subject and the nuanced issues with which we deal every day on this forum.

To quote a research paper that is negatively-slanted against colloidal silver is always interesting, but we are living in a deeply-corrupt medical environment which will always champion the chemical over the natural, the expensive over the cheap, the dumbed-down mainstream over the insightful alternative and the corrupt over the honest.

I will say this out loud; WE KNOW COLLOIDAL SILVER WORKS, AND HAS FEWER SIDE-EFFECTS THAN ANY MAINSTREAM ANTIBIOTIC.

RedDogJT

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 12:11:17 AM »
I don't disagree with anything you said.  I simply enjoy the dialog and research behind some of these wonderful forms of healing and healthy living, and how they have been perverted by forces unknown.  Sure you can always point to the obvious greed and power of some large, impersonal corporate entity who have gain so much traction and momentum down a dark and dirty path they can never change, nor allow other truths to infect their magical realm.

I've always tended to see another guiding force which is beyond our current time frame of a single lifetime.  These cabal's are also beyond money, greed, or even power. They really don't care about us little mouse's here in the dark corner of the internet.  What I like doing is following their subtle hand, to see if I can identify their "people".  In the case of this COVID thing, they have not been as subtle, it is like they are now free to be much more direct.  Evil is loose and free to operate with impunity.

Then there is the other question I've had about what kind of silver they used to make.  Isn't this true colloidal silver you make a more recent recipe?  Yet it still worked right?

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 04:42:32 PM »
The only difference in the newer recipe is the use of gelatine as the capping agent. Gelatine is better than cinnamon as a capping agent.

Both, however, work. Even the most primitive forms of ionic silver salts also work. It is only a question of greater effectiveness and fewer side-effects re Argyria.

Gelatine capping is the best for internal use but cinnamon works very well.

All forms of capping except gelatine work well for external use.

For inhalation, we would recommend sugar-capping (Karo, Maltodextrin, fructose and glucose) for inhalation via a humidifier.