SilverTron Support and Scientific Info > SilverTron Notes And Support Questions

a couple of questions regarding silver production

(1/3) > >>

Art:
With the SilverTron Elite, if you are not using a stirring device, what is the maximum milliamp setting you can use with a silver rod and what is the maximum setting if you are using a silver bar as available from the SilverTron store? Does the gauge of the rod matter?

I started using my SilverTron Elite with a hot plate stirrer and I can't remember ever making a batch without the stirrer on, so these are two things I was wondering about .

Art

kephra:
That depends on temperature and the amount of submerged anode area.  In general, without a stirrer, you can increase the current until you detect 'smoke' coming off of the anode.  Start at 3 ma and go up from there.  With a stirrer you can go the full 15ma even with just a wire anode.

Without a stirrer of some sort, you will get plating on the bottom of the flask underneath the anode.  This should be removed with peroxide before it becomes an opaque mirror. 

Art:
Looks like I will have to do a little experimenting. What size silver rod comes with the Elite now?

Art

kephra:
The wire electrodes are 12 gauge (0.08, 2mm)

Art:
Thank You.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version