Author Topic: SilverTron Elite Timer Enhancement  (Read 3115 times)

Offline FromTheDen

• Expert
  • Participant
SilverTron Elite Timer Enhancement
« on: April 21, 2016, 06:11:00 AM »
The progress bar is a helpful feature to have an idea of where you are in the process.

For those of us who have trouble remembering when we started or how long we paused for cleaning the anode, what would really be nice is a time remaining readout.

Any chance of integrating a digital time remaining clock into the SilverTron Elite?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: SilverTron Elite Timer Enhancement
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 12:38:31 PM »
It could certainly be done.  I will consider it if I make another version.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline FromTheDen

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 09:16:11 PM »
Hmmm. That sounds like a big "if". I'm planning to buy another SilverTron Elite and would love to have that feature when I do. However, I also have in mind your comments about not being sure how long you will continue to keep up this site and presumably your store. My v. 1 model is working fine so I'm not in a great rush, but I don't want to wait too long & miss the opportunity altogether. Can you help me out with some probabilities & timings? Thanks!

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:33:27 PM »
Any version change I make will almost certainly be software only.  I have the Ver 2 hardware tuned as much as it can be.  So the answer is:  Whenever I get enthused about writing code.  Other than that, I can't say for sure.  Best guess would be toward the end of the year when its too cold to do things outside.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline FromTheDen

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 10:22:49 PM »
I need to get you talking to my son, who is passionate about writing code any time of year ;). He's graduating next month with an MS in Software Engineering. It turns out he prefers Computer Science for the coding, but by the time he figured that out it was too late to change. He turned down an offer from Microsoft to go with a local company he liked better. Probably not a bad choice, though I was looking forward to visiting Washington.

Who me? Proud? Nah, just your imagination...

Thanks for the update :)

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 12:03:54 AM »
I wouldn't work for Microsoft for any amount of money.  I would not want my name associated with any of the crap they put out.

For me, process control is what I like to do.  I have no interest in accounting, reading records from one file and writing them to another and adding them up is just plain boring. 

The first process control job I tackled was building a machine to tune quartz crystals to frequency by evaporating gold onto them.  I wrote the whole system in HP mini assembler code.  It almost got me fired though because I added a little extra feature to the program.  Getting people enthused about using a machine is sometimes difficult, so I programmed the paper tape reader clutch on the machine to play the Yellow Rose Of Texas when the machine had tuned 100000 crystals and put out the word to the techs.  All the techs wanted to be the one to have the machine play music.  Unfortunately, my boss did not see the humor. 

It was a good career for me, but I would have been perfectly happy in life as a blacksmith.  I prefer working alone, or running a team if thats not possible, so thats the way I structured my employment.

In the 90's, I worked for a computer consulting company (Computer Aid Inc).  I was the only PC programmer, all the rest (over 100) were mainframe cobolers.  I was assigned the task of creating a data collection system which would multi-task 30 terminals, collect data and interface with an IBM 360 mainframe for Carpenter Technology (CarTech).  My boss at the time asked me how I would do it.  I told him I would write a multi-user multi-tasking operating system, a computer language and a compiler so the customer could easily customize it as needed.  His face turned red and he stormed away.  Cobol programmers cannot do such things, and the only reason he didn't fire me was because he couldn't figure out how to do the job.  To make a long story short, I started on Dec 7 (Pearl Harbor day) and installed it on the following May 5 (Mothers Day).  It ran for 13 years before they replaced it and no one ever found a bug in it.  It went so well that the company I worked for sold it to several other steel mills.  I ended up getting a $4000 bonus for it. 

So tell your son to always think outside of the box.  It always works for me.  Accounting programmers and web designers are a dime a dozen so tell him to dare to be different.

I would also advise him to also have a physical pursuit to balance out the cerebral.  Balance is important in life.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:09:35 AM by kephra »

Offline FromTheDen

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 03:15:58 AM »
Fascinating history (Why am I not surprised?) & great counsel! He wanted to work for a smaller company where he could make an impact--instead of being a drone among hundreds or thousands of programmers.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 05:23:32 AM »
  Kephra that is a great working life story!  One to be very proud of.  I might not know you personally, but I am in awe of what you are able to do.  You have something that this world is and has been lacking more & more each day, drive, ambition and a big dose of common sense   Oh and of course that big brain 🤓  This country sure could use some more of that.  There is absolutely no replacement for who you are, as a person and a professional.  I sound like a some kind of freak groupie.  But the members of this forum and especially those who own a SilverTron know where I'm coming from.

And FromTheDen, damn right you should be proud of your son.  Sounds like you did a great job raising him.  And the advice Kephra is giving is right on.  But you already know that...Good Job 👍

Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Offline FromTheDen

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 04:28:28 PM »

Offline Dean

• Expert
  • Participant
    • Social SilverTron Facebook Portal
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 08:33:31 AM »
Kephra,

From the Dens comment re. "Not sure how long you'll keep this running" has freaked me out a bit.
Having only just arrived  ;D I can see I have lots to learn and as a piece of work generally, the thought
Of getting a 404 error (potentially) at any point in time I'm sure would be devastating for many especially as the subject is so clouded "no pun intended" everywhere else.

I certainly wouldn't want to be presumptuous and I'm sure you are already aware but what you are doing here and have done, believe me is really precious. I understand completely that it has to be right for you but
It would be like when you hear :) on the news that your favourite store that's been in existence for generations suddenly Disappears.

From a purely selfish point of view therefore  ::) It would be if great relief to feel that this incredible information would be available forever !

(Just my personal thoughts)

Offline FromTheDen

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 01:13:24 PM »
Hard to image with warm days down here in Texas, but are you getting enthused about writing code for a time remaining clock yet?  :-\

How is the consideration going for keeping the store open?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »
Hard to image with warm days down here in Texas, but are you getting enthused about writing code for a time remaining clock yet?
No, I don't think that will happen.
I have enough parts on hand to build 10 more SilverTron Elites.  I have not yet decided to make any more than that.  It might take a year to sell those ten, and I am not committing to make any more than that.  After that, I will probably only make Jrs.  Of course, depending on demand and availability of the components, I might change my mind.  So, its not worth my time to make any more programming changes.

Offline FromTheDen

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 08:50:32 PM »
Darn. I guess I'll have to get the present model and pay more attention.  :D