Author Topic: Blood isn't a sterile environment ?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline mfacen

• Expert
  • Participant
Blood isn't a sterile environment ?
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:30:01 AM »
   I just read this paper on NCBI:

Are There Naturally Occurring Pleomorphic Bacteria in the Blood of Healthy Humans?

In our search for spirochetes involved in Alzheimer's disease (13), we observed pleomorphic bacteria in the blood of healthy human subjects by dark-field microscopy. This was a surprising finding since it is generally acknowledged that the bloodstream in healthy humans is a sterile environment (7) except when there is a breach in the integrity of the tissue membranes (6). However, the concept of the occurrence of bacteria in the blood of healthy humans is now more plausible because of cultivation-independent laboratory approaches. The main techniques employed in such studies include PCR amplification and sequencing of the16S ribosomal DNA (rDNA). These methods have revealed the presence of a wide diversity of microorganisms in the environment, and indeed within the human body (12). In this report we present evidence based on molecular phylogenetic techniques and light and electron microscopy, as well as other conventional microbiological methods, for the existence of a population of bacteria in healthy human blood. In view of the apparent controversial nature of our findings, it was encouraging to note the recent report of Nikkari et al. (14), who detected blood-associated bacterial rDNA sequences by using real-time PCR methods and a probe targeting conserved regions of bacterial 16S rDNA, and an earlier report by Tedeshi et al. (16) on the presence of pleomorphic bacteria as intraerythrocytic parasites in clinically healthy human subjects.

Are this microorganisms beneficial in any way or would be better to kind of clean out your blood every now and then or even take colloidal silver daily. I just use it when I need to fight an infection and its not very often. Maybe a blood cleanse every couple of months for a couple of days ? Just in case...

Offline mfacen

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Blood isn't a sterile environment ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:42:58 AM »

But then cited on the same paper:
They showed that red blood cells increased the uptake or incorporation of radioactive thymine, uridine, and glycine because of the presence of these bacteria. Incorporation of these compounds is not part of the normal metabolic activity of erythrocytes.

So maybe there is a reason to take it more regularly. Any thoughts ?

Offline mfacen

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »
   I don't have enough knowledge of bio chemistry to understand the process that is taking place, but at first glance the paper you linked seems to suggest that indeed those microorganisms help clean up the radioactive substances. I think that we evolved in a symbiotic relationship with all the organisms thriving in the body, like intestinal flora, and when all is working fine the less meddling the better.

SanchoPanza

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 12:22:01 PM »
Sometimes however, the symbiots go awry and turn into parasites.

Just like the inlaws.    ;)

-Sancho