Author Topic: Current v. Anode Size  (Read 1000 times)

Offline FromTheDen

• Expert
  • Participant
Current v. Anode Size
« on: September 22, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
I've been using a bar anode at 15mA for so long I forget what the limitations are for other anode sizes. However, it seems like no matter how carefully I try to clean everything, my IS always takes on a yellow tint, meaning there's still some reducer somewhere (cold process).

My next plan is to use a fresh wire anode & cathode pair in fresh glassware.

Will 15mA still work with a wire anode & strong stirring? I've been spoiled by the speed of the high current. (Thank you again Kephra for the SilverTron Elite!)

For reference, what are the general guidelines for current v. anode size, effect of stirring, etc.?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Current v. Anode Size
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 08:29:20 PM »
I've been using a bar anode at 15mA for so long I forget what the limitations are for other anode sizes. However, it seems like no matter how carefully I try to clean everything, my IS always takes on a yellow tint, meaning there's still some reducer somewhere (cold process).
Try making it in the dark or with a red darkroom light.  UV light reduces silver.

My next plan is to use a fresh wire anode & cathode pair in fresh glassware.

Will 15mA still work with a wire anode & strong stirring? I've been spoiled by the speed of the high current. (Thank you again Kephra for the SilverTron Elite!)

For reference, what are the general guidelines for current v. anode size, effect of stirring, etc.?
Some sources say it should be 6ma max per square inch of anode.  So for 2 inches of submerged 2mm silver wire, that would be 3 ma.  But with stirring, you can go the full 15ma.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline FromTheDen

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 08:40:04 PM »
Thank you :)

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »
I also always make the Colloidal Silver and Ionic Silver Oxide in subdued light or near darkness.

Remember that the slightest trace of any reducing agent will start to reduce the colloid.