Author Topic: making large batch of colloidal gold  (Read 4201 times)

SiO2

making large batch of colloidal gold
« on: April 28, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »
Hi Kephra,

I'm making a 2L batch using your 111 formula for 4 litres and halving additives. Can you look at the pics and tell me if you see any problems.

Was running at 48v, 0.5 amps
The green wire is copper wire insulated which I have crimped my gold wire through. My concern is the use of the copper in the anode connection, but its not touching the water but condensation is dripping down off the insulator and may be touching the copper gold interface before dripping back into the water. Do you see as a problem?
not the best pic
Copper cathode runs down the side and across into the middle
gold in middle

Also the water level drops pretty quick so have to keep adjusting the gold so its deep enough in the water.

Thanks

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: making large batch of colloidal gold
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 01:24:34 AM »
Why not use a silver wire to hang the gold from?  Maybe it won't hurt anything though because the steam that condenses on the copper wire is essentially distilled and doesn't have the electrolytes in it.  Still, I wouldn't do it. 

Also, unlike silver, gold works best by minimizing the gold anode and maximizing the cathode; just the opposite of making colloidal silver.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

SiO2

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 01:57:42 AM »
I try to keep the gold anode 1/4 inch into solution but evaporation means I have to adjust it often.
I started with 2l and its now 1.25 after 80 mins.

I thought I  read somewhere that you said using copper to hang gold anode is alright as long as its not in contact with the water. But can't find where to confirm. Should I toss this

SHould I turn the heat down, or boil it with a sealed lid? to stop excessive evaporation?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:10:30 AM »
No, I would use it, but I would try to seal the connection between the gold and copper, or use a silver lead wire. 
I would also suggest making a lid to hold your electrodes and cut down on the evaporation loss.  Then adjust the heat so that the water is just bubling on the bottom, but the steam bubbles do not breaknthe surface of the water.

Your batch actually looks very good.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

SiO2

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 02:32:22 AM »
Thanks Kephra, I'll have to sort out those problems, If the colloidal gold I made was supposed to be 40ppm in the 2 litres, if i just boiled off another 250mls would it not be 80ppm and then I'd only need 125ml to get 10mg?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 02:55:48 AM »
If you made 2 liters of 40 ppm, you would have a total of 80 mg of gold in the solution.  You would need to evaporate half of the water to get 80 ppm.  The thing to look for if you try that is a color change from red to purple which would indicate the colloid was breaking down and particle size growing.

SiO2

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 03:01:02 AM »
Thank you for your time. My only concern is that the price of gold is going to skyrocket to the moon and I'll no longer be able to buy any gold to make colloidal gold with.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 03:14:18 AM »
I think you are right about the price of gold.   Still, at $3000 an ounce, 10 mg is only about $1, which is pretty cheap if you need it.  Now is a good time to buy a tenth ounce billion coin if you can. 

I make my colloidal gold from gold chloride, which is more expensive, but is much easier and faster.

kscmac

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 03:16:33 AM »
Kephra,
I think I will try to find the best price for a 1/10 oz gold coin, what's the best price you have seen?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »
Kephra,
I think I will try to find the best price for a 1/10 oz gold coin, what's the best price you have seen?
I don't keep track.  The only place I buy from is nucleo on bulliondirect.com which is a true marketplace.

12/10/2015: Edited to add that bulliondirect.com is out of business.