Author Topic: power supplies  (Read 2945 times)

Offline marvelous

• Participant
power supplies
« on: September 11, 2017, 05:57:13 PM »
I am new here, was wondering, apparently I have been making ionic silver (which sounds on here like it is useless) rather than colloidal silver. I have the silver wires, hot plate with magnetic stirrers, just went and bought the sodium carbonate, I have some Karo Syrup. But the power supply that I have been using is what I was wondering about? My unit is 30 volts and 8 amps. Sounds like it is way to much power since this forum is talking about milliamps. Is there some way I can use it or do I need a different power supply?

Offline wgpeters

• Kephra's other account
  • Participant
    • SilverTron Store
Re: power supplies
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:20:15 PM »
The 8 amp rating on your power supply is the maximum it can supply without hurting itself.  The actual current that it will supply depends on the resistance of the load (electrolysis cell).
For example, suppose that the electrical resistance of your cell is 1000 ohms.  Then the power supply  would put out 30 volts divided by 1000 ohms which equates to 30 milli-amps.

This is Ohms Law:  Current = Voltage / Resistance.

The problem is that you do no know what the resistance of your cell actually is.  Cell resistance depends on a lot of variables.  To handle that, you need to add a current regulator between your cell and the power supply.  You can search online for circuit diagrams for constant current regulators.  They range from very simple to dizzying complexity.  Look for a simple one.

A constant current regulator circuit adjusts the anode voltage such that the current through the cell remains the same even if the cell resistance changes.

When first starting out, I recommend setting your current to 5 milli-amps until you master the process, especially if you don't have a magnetic stirrer.

Since this forum is supported solely by the sale of SilverTrons, I do not supply schematics or components.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
Re: power supplies
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:58:42 AM »
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln