Author Topic: Minimal heat temp for gelatin capped silver?  (Read 399 times)

Offline Silverpunx

• Participant
Minimal heat temp for gelatin capped silver?
« on: November 07, 2023, 08:27:45 PM »
Hi, I know 200 degrees is recommended for the gelatin capping but my magnetic  mixer hot plate maxes out around 175. That being said the 40ppm batch I made matched the color sample I just want to make sure I’m not making a wack batches.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Minimal heat temp for gelatin capped silver?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 09:28:36 PM »
Hi, I know 200 degrees is recommended for the gelatin capping but my magnetic  mixer hot plate maxes out around 175. That being said the 40ppm batch I made matched the color sample I just want to make sure I’m not making a wack batches.
It only has to be hot enough to melt the gelatin.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Silverpunx

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 02:16:32 AM »
Awesome. Thanks

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 10:41:48 PM »
Figure 140-150F. You can also process "hot" at that temp for making higher than 20PPM Colloidal Silver, gel-capped, and it works just fine. I do it all the time and I recall others here saying the same - that they use around 150F also. Hotter means more evaporation of the water in the cell and that could be problematic. If you walk away and enough water evaporates it could drop the level below the cathode submerged depth, the cell will stop and you'll have NO idea what PPM you actually made.