Author Topic: Power supply for Silvertrons  (Read 4404 times)

Lefteris

Power supply for Silvertrons
« on: January 11, 2015, 01:57:37 AM »
The voltage should be 9V sharp (+-0.1V max) but what would be the minimum Amperage for Silvertron's power supply?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Power supply for Silvertrons
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 02:07:00 AM »
I measured the Elite at 250ma to 300ma depending on the current setting.  So to be safe, it should be at least 300ma. The adapters I furnish are rated at 660ma. 
Newer models use a 305ma supply.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 05:00:47 PM »
If you are in the UK or Europe and wish to buy from the UK, Maplin Electronics makes a neat unit which I use for my SilverTron, with perfect success. The unit is very cheap. You will need to cut off and replace the output plug.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-20w-switched-mode-acdc-fixed-voltage-9v-worldwide-power-supply-l46bl

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »
Yeah, that should work fine.
If the voltage is not exact, that would be a bad thing though.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Lefteris

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »
I think it would probably be best to visit a local electronic store and have a digital multimeter handy to measure the output voltage since it is pretty critical.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 05:12:30 AM »
Kephra,

The power supply with my SilverTron Elite v2 is a 9v 200 ma. Is that enough current?  I have several other 9 volt wall warts laying around.  What would be the upper limits of ma for the STEv2?  Just wondering what's useable.  Don't want to damage my new best friend.  Thanks, Bobby
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 06:32:57 AM by Bobby »
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Offline George

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 10:52:37 AM »
How come the Silvertron's have a 9v output power supply? (probably a dumb question but...)
Don't we have to keep the current between anode & cathode to above 10v when making Colloidal Silver? How can an adapter that only outputs 9v do this?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 01:10:06 PM »
Quote from: George
How come the Silvertron's have a 9v output power supply? (probably a dumb question but...)
Don't we have to keep the current between anode & cathode to above 10v when making Colloidal Silver? How can an adapter that only outputs 9v do this?
The SilverTron contains a voltage multiplier which boosts the 9 volts to about 28 volts.

Quote from: Bobby
   The power supply with my SilverTron Elite v2 is a 9v 200 ma. Is that enough current?  I have several other 9 volt wall warts laying around.  What would be the upper limits of ma for the STEv2?  Just wondering what's useable.  Don't want to damage my new best friend.  Thanks, Bobby
The supplied power adapter is 9 volts and 305 ma.  There is no upper limit.  Just because a power adapter says its is 500 mA or 1000 mA, or whatever, does not mean that thats what they actually supply.  It means that thats the maximum they can supply without dropping voltage, or popping a fuse, or overheating, or burning out, etc.

The most important thing for the SilverTrons is that the power adapter outputs 9 volts and has the correct polarity, which is center pin positive at the barrel connector.
Getting the polarity backwards will destroy a Mini or an Elite V1.   The current rating is 300 mA minimum.  However I don't recommend using a different power supply than the one I supplied because often the wall adapters are not very accurate, especially  with regards to their voltage.  Some of the units on the market have a voltage rating that is only true when drawing the rated current from the unit.  I have a radio shack adapter that is rated at 30 volts but actually outputs 36 volts for example.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 09:24:42 PM »
Kephra,

SORRY FOR THAT!  It is exactly what you said it is...9volt & 305 ma. MY MISTAKE. I have another wall wart that is 9volt200ma & the same physical size, but has a very small connector on it. I keep all the extra wall warts in a big box in the garage. I think I will have my wife put labels on the whole box full. Don't need any stupid mistakes.

I just got the SilverTron Mini in today! Same power supply as the Elite...9v305ma. Now I'm going to run the Elite & the Mini side by side today. I will post some pics & the methods I used for each run.

Again I apologize to the Master for my lame ass mistake. Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 09:40:33 PM »

BTW I too have run into some adapters where the voltages were different. Usually on the higher side. I guess I better check the volts & milliamperes on each one while in use. Then I will have the wife put some labels on all of them.  Thanks for the heads up!  Bobby

Matlock

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 11:47:02 AM »
The Universal power supply

http://www.silvertronstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=36

This should do it for the Silvertrone Elite and Magnetic Stir Plates when used in Europe i assume

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 01:11:24 PM »
Yes, but you can also get them from European suppliers and save some money.  Look for one that has a 5.5x2.1mm barrel connector with center pin positive (Extremely important), 9.0 volt dc output +- .1 volts, and 350mA output current.

This one from Maplin for instance: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/regulated-9v-600ma-acdc-power-supply-l67bq
Just make sure the polarity is correct before plugging it into the SilverTron.  Check it with a voltmeter first.

My power supplies are not meant to power stir plates though.