Author Topic: Colloidal silver legality  (Read 2688 times)

Ricplate

Colloidal silver legality
« on: January 08, 2016, 01:49:49 PM »
Hi everyone here in Argentina is not possible to register colloidal silver for legal sale like there in USA becouse the authorities here say colloidal silver is not a food suplement therefore not permit. any suggestions? how in USA was the procedure in order to aprove as Food suplement anyone knows?
Yhank you

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Colloidal silver legality
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 01:58:55 PM »
I don't know how others do it.  I know of people that don't ask for permission, they just sell it locally.  Here, the FDA goes after people who both sell it and make medical claims about it.  Thats why I or anyone else could not sell it on this forum.

Your authorities are correct though, its not a food supplement.  At best, its mineralized water.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Ricplate

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 02:11:19 PM »
You allways answer and help . thank you very very much !!!!!

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »
Here in Sweden colloidal silver is marketed as a "water purifying product". The legislation within EU does not allow colloidal silver to be sold as a food supplement, but the authorities act differently depending on which EU country it is. As I understand it, in Germany (which has a long tradition of alternative medicine) colloidal silver is often openly marketed as a food supplement, or at least to be drinkable for health purposes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:51:05 AM by PeterXXL »

Offline peri1224

• Participant
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 04:44:53 AM »
Is silver a mineral or a metal? In its native form it may be called a mineral, because it is mixed with crystalline material, but after it's purified, there is nothing crystalline left. Is it therefore not a pure metal? Nano-particles of silver are definitely metallic.
If it's a metal, can the water be called mineralized?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:56:51 AM by peri1224 »

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 08:06:04 AM »
I suppose it depends on what you define as a mineral. I would agree with Kephra that mineralised water would probably be the best description. It is sold in the UK as a mineral supplement, whether or not that is technically accurate. I personally don't care, as long as it is legal to sell.

No one buys it unless they know what it is for, anyway.

Offline peri1224

• Participant
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 12:16:31 PM »
I don't define minerals. They have long been defined as having a crystalline structure, which silver doesn't have. But I agree with you, Kephra's mineralized water sounds very good, as long as no FDA stickler types object. Was thinking of that angle earlier.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 08:00:11 PM »
You can sell almost any product except MMS in the UK. The answer to this, is simply to offer the product without saying what it is for. Those who want it, will know what it is for. If you don't give directions, then you probably can't be sued for an unauthorised use.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 08:02:15 PM »
On spaceships, the Russians use IS for water purification. The Americans use iodine. IS is fairly universally authorised for water purification, which is bizarre when you read the info on this site.

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 08:13:43 PM »
You can sell almost any product except MMS in the UK. The answer to this, is simply to offer the product without saying what it is for. Those who want it, will know what it is for. If you don't give directions, then you probably can't be sued for an unauthorised use.

It's the same in the rest of EU as far as I know. So it's all about marketing; that you cannot openly sell colloidal silver and advertise that it should be taken orally against bacterial, virus or fungus infections.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 06:01:14 PM »
I think an argument can be made for silver nanoparticles being crystaline. 
See http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2013/ce/c3ce40497h for example.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 11:31:38 PM »
I could be wrong but I think all solidified metals are of crystalline structure.  Thats not true of other things like quartz (there is a crystalline form as well as an amorphous form) but I think all metals regardless how tiny the bits of it are, are crystalline solids.