Author Topic: Power supply recommendations  (Read 1453 times)

TheJimReaper

Power supply recommendations
« on: August 11, 2017, 03:57:09 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find an affordable and adjustable DC power supply that has an adjustable current output in the 1 to 50 ma range ?
If not, could someone recommend the best way to limit the current to 5 ma from a higher amperage power supply ?
Thank you

Online kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Power supply recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 05:12:33 PM »
There are lots of current limiting circuits on the internet of varying complexity. 
Lab bench power supplys usually don't have enough accuracy and precision to operate at such low currents.

This forum does not supply schematics.

See Rule 7 of the Forum Rules.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:20:11 PM by kephra »
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: Power supply recommendations
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 03:07:41 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find an affordable and adjustable DC power supply that has an adjustable current output in the 1 to 50 ma range ?
If not, could someone recommend the best way to limit the current to 5 ma from a higher amperage power supply ?
Thank you
If you want to buy one, rather than make your own from components, then I would buy a bench PSU with a maximum output amperage of 2 Amps. Do an Internet search. If you are in the UK, then Maplin do the one I use.

You will need a separate ammeter, as the built-in meters are often miscalibrated or inaccurate.

I would say, however, that the cost of the unit would almost certainly be better put towards the cost of a SilverTron. A bench PSU is for the expert end of the business, not the beginner.