Author Topic: Prefered Reducers for colloidal silver  (Read 14582 times)

Offline nix2p

• Expert
  • Participant
Prefered Reducers for colloidal silver
« on: September 29, 2016, 09:07:48 PM »
Quote from: WayneInPHX on June 25, 2016, 06:47:58 PM - From another post:

I use Maltodextrin exclusively.

.3 grams for 1000 mL

For colloidal silver.
--------

- Where is a good source of Maltodextrin?

If someone posted it before, possibly, I could not find it, sorry.

- Another, can you guys with chem/bio background, "show off a little", and tell which is your preferred RA?

Thank you ahead.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:05:22 PM by kephra »
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up"!
Marty Feldman

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Prefered Reducers for colloidal silver
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:04:47 PM »
I use a product called Carbo-Gain which is easily sourced on Amazon, eBay, and body building sites.

Karo Corn Syrup is my favorite reducing agent. 
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:08:48 AM »
At least in the US if you want maltodextrin, look for a home beer/wine brewing supply shop.  They carry it because its used in I believe beermaking to give the beer a better "mouth-feel" (more creamy I think).

Its not very expensive, maybe a couple $$/ pound and a pound will last a LONG time.

I bought a pound of this and a pound of dextrose (a.k.a. glucose) a while ago and they were both rather inexpensive.  I haven't tried the maltodextrin yet.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 08:21:19 AM »
In the UK, look for Carboloader. You can also look online, of course.

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 10:47:07 AM »
The reducing agent I use today for Colloidal Silver consists of ...

Either a reducing sugar, which I make as:
- 1 mol dextrose/glucose (18 gram / 100 ml) + 0.1 mol  maltodextrin (32 gram / 100 ml).

Or plant tincture, which I make as:
- Preferably turmeric root tincture or cannabis/hemp tincture (half weight of dry plant to double weight/volume of 95% ethyl alcohol).

1 ml of either of that is enough to reduce and stabilize 100 mg of silver. For higher concentrations I prefer to use plant extract.

Offline Argentum

• Participant
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 02:32:20 PM »
Karo light corn syrup here. It works well and I already had it. Lately I've been making Colloidal Silver in 40 PPM batches. They turn out crystal clear with a deep yellow color.

Argentum

Offline nix2p

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 03:27:57 PM »
Speaking of reducers, this is an old patent from the '30's:

Quote:
Method of preparing colloidal silver
US 1764417 A
(OCR text may contain errors)

..."For some purposes, Lanolin may be mixed up to 40% with the reaction preparation. to good advantage, as the Lanolin acts also as a reducing agent and at the same time acts as a colloid protecting agent, producing thereby a very stable colloid. I 5"...

..."1. The method of preparing a silver colloid which comprises taking a silver nitrate solution of approximately 20% concentration and mixing thereto a mixed solution of Dextrin and Sodium Hydroxid with Lanolin."...

"Patented June 17, 1930 TEIKICHI SATOW, OF TOKIO, JAPAN. METHOD OF PREPARING CQLIlOIDAL SILVER. No Drawing. "
EndQuote

(read whole article, please):
https://www.google.com/patents/US1764417
Marty Feldman

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 03:32:29 PM »
Maltodextrin for 20-40 PPM.
Light corn syrup for 320 PPM.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline nix2p

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 07:00:06 PM »
Ran across preferences by other people, outside this forum,

and perhaps these are good subjects for discussion. Most of us

are using 20 PPM Colloidal Silver, in 1 Liter of DW water:

Orange Pectin Mediated Growth and Stability of
Aqueous Gold and Silver Nanocolloids

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01131939/document

Another:
----------

Raspberry Extract as Both a Stabilizer and a Reducing Agent in Environmentally Friendly Process of Receiving Colloidal Silver

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jnm/2013/563826/

Marty Feldman

Offline WayneInPHX

• Expert
  • Participant
  • Witty saying goes here... Ok--> "42"
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 08:03:31 PM »
Quote from: WayneInPHX on June 25, 2016, 06:47:58 PM - From another post:

I use Maltodextrin exclusively.
    .3 grams for 1000 mL

$5 US.  AMAZON....  HERE:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064OAHAE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use Malto for up to 40ppm.  320 is karo + gelatin for stabilizer.
Most of us don’t listen with the intent to understand.  We listen with the intent to reply.  -  From a TED Talk

"I've decided I'm not old. I'm 25 plus shipping & handling!"

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 08:42:55 PM »
Thanks for the links and info!

I can confirm that ALL polysaccharides that I've tested works well as stabilizing agent, incl. Pectin (the Pectin I tried does not say anything about its source though, but as I understand it, all Pectin that are sold are made from citrus fruits).

I can also confirm that ALL the plant extracts (tinctures made of 95% pure ethyl alcohol) that I have tested work as both reducing agent and stabilizing agent, but they differ when it comes to how much that is needed, and some make clearer batches than others.

Ran across preferences by other people, outside this forum,

and perhaps these are good subjects for discussion. Most of us

are using 20 PPM Colloidal Silver, in 1 Liter of DW water:

Orange Pectin Mediated Growth and Stability of
Aqueous Gold and Silver Nanocolloids

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01131939/document

Another:
----------

Raspberry Extract as Both a Stabilizer and a Reducing Agent in Environmentally Friendly Process of Receiving Colloidal Silver

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jnm/2013/563826/

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »

I can confirm that ALL polysaccharides that I've tested works well as stabilizing agent, incl. Pectin (the Pectin I tried does not say anything about its source though, but as I understand it, all Pectin that are sold are made from citrus fruits).

[/quote]

I use pectin that is made from apple skin.

Art

Offline nix2p

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 10:03:39 PM »
The reducing agent I use today for colloidal silver consists of ...

Either a reducing sugar, which I make as:
- 1 mol dextrose/glucose (18 gram / 100 ml) + 0.1 mol  maltodextrin (32 gram / 100 ml).

Or plant tincture, which I make as:
- Preferably turmeric root tincture or cannabis/hemp tincture (half weight of dry plant to double weight/volume of 95% ethyl alcohol).

1 ml of either of that is enough to reduce and stabilize 100 mg of silver. For higher concentrations I prefer to use plant extract.

"Whole foods", here in US sells Turmeric in bulk. In so far, have not encountered a good source of Turmeric tincture. I decided to try making my own, then apply it to my batch of Colloidal Silver.
(Later I will try Raspberry tincture...)

There are few options I have here:

- 1). purchase fresh root of Turmeric, (I would know what's in this one)
- 2). getting it dry, (in powder form, don't know what other ingredients are/is being added to it, or preservatives, or?)
- 3). locate a good source of tincture, (again, don't know the strength, % Turmeric)

Then I found this on line:

What is the difference between an extract and a tincture?

Quote:
"The difference between extracts and tinctures is the amount of herb infused in the alcohol or glycerin. An extract is considered 1 part herb to 1 part alcohol or glycerin. A tincture is considered 1 part herbs to 3 parts alcohol or glycerin".
EndQuote

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/blog/tag/difference-between-extract-and-tincture/

Thank you, ALL :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:15:06 PM by nix2p »
Marty Feldman

Offline nix2p

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 04:54:16 PM »
Tinctures and Extracts that come from herbs,  plants and fruit  that are utilized as (RA) reducers

it seems that are prone to molds and myco-toxins:

Mycotoxins in Spices and Herbs: An Update

ABSTRACT

Spices and herbs have been used since ancient times as flavour and aroma enhancers, colourants, preservatives and traditional medicines. There are more than thirty spices and herbs of global economic and culinary importance. Among the spices, black pepper, capsicums, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, turmeric, saffron, coriander, cloves, dill, mint, thyme, sesame seed, mustard seed and curry powder are the most popular worldwide. In addition to their culinary uses, a number of functional properties of aromatic herbs and spices are also well described in the scientific literature. However, spices and herbs cultivated mainly in tropic and subtropic areas can be exposed to contamination with toxigenic fungi and subsequently mycotoxins. This review provides an overview on the mycotoxin risk in widely consumed spices and aromatic herbs.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408398.2013.772891?src=recsys&journalCode=bfsn20
Marty Feldman

Offline nix2p

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 07:56:03 PM »
I'm just collecting data, as for interpretation , sterilization (check previous post on micro-toxins), if need be,

and amount needed for either or both applications as (EA) electrolytic - stabilizer agent and  (RA) reducing agent, 

these things are above my expertise. (HELP, please!)

Table 1: The ranges of independent variable variation in the dried raspberry fruit extraction process.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jnm/2013/563826/tab1/

Table 1: The ranges of independent variable variation in the dried raspberry fruit extraction process.

Extraction method   Dried raspberry fruit weight [g]   Extraction process duration [min]   Process temperature [°C]
Soxhlet apparatus    0.90–18.00                                   180–480                                                —
Round-bottom flask    0.30–6.00                                       5–180                                             30–70
Reactor                    0.30–6.00                                       5–180                                             90–130
Marty Feldman