Author Topic: Amount of Sodium Chloride in the QuickStart Guide for Colloidal Gold  (Read 2449 times)

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
Kephra: In your QuickStart Guide for 250 ml 40 ppm colloidal gold you use different amount of Sodium Chloride for the different electrolysis methods. Why?

As the amount of gold chloride in mg that can be formed is directly related to the amount of chloride ions in the water, using different amount (100 mg and 120 mg) does not make sense to me.

For 40 ppm (40 mg) colloidal gold we need 40 mg / 303 (molar mass of AuCl3) x 58.4 (molar mass for Sodium Chloride) x 1.647 (as Sodium Chloride only contains 60.7% molar mass percentage of chloride, so 1 / 0.607 = 1.647) x 3 (as we need 3 electrons to reduce the gold chloride) = 38 mg of Sodium Chloride.

So why then add 100 mg or 120 mg?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:52:35 PM by PeterXXL »

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Amount of Sodium Chloride in the QuickStart Guide for Colloidal Gold
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:21:23 PM »
Simple, its what worked.  Feel free to experiment. 
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 02:42:14 PM »
As the amount of gold chloride in mg that can be formed is directly related to the amount of chloride ions in the water, using different amount (100 mg and 120 mg) does not make sense to me.
That is an incorrect statement.  The sodium chloride amount determines the maximum amount of gold chloride, but not the exact amount, since a lot of it is lost as chlorine gas.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 03:31:10 PM »
That is an incorrect statement.  The sodium chloride amount determines the maximum amount of gold chloride, but not the exact amount, since a lot of it is lost as chlorine gas.

Ok. So in the QuickStart Guide for colloidal gold, is the method where maltodextrin is used generating a larger amount of chlorine gas as it contains 120 mg sodium chloride compared to the other two methods where sodium citrate is used, and the amount of sodium chloride is 100 mg?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:34:58 PM »
Peter:  I have no instrumentation to measure how much chlorine gas is wasted.  It obviously is because the odor is noticeable as well as the taste.  I simply have published formulas that work for me. 

milad

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »
if i want to use KCl instead of NaCl in colloidal gold production using Electrolysis I , how much would i need to add for 250 ml distilled water?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »
You should use the same Molar amount.
Calculate the moles of sodium chloride, then calculate the weight of potassium chloride to give the same molar amount.
NaCl = 23 + 35.5 grams per mole
KCl = 40 + 35.5 grams per mole.