Author Topic: Xylitol  (Read 2085 times)

Ricplate

Xylitol
« on: January 06, 2016, 04:57:54 PM »
Hi everyone! have a good 2016. I Read kephras formula for toothpaste and I have almost all ingredient but i cant get in this country XYLITOL any suggestions please for replacement? thank you

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Xylitol
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 05:01:56 PM »
You can substitute any of the sugar alcohols as sweetener.  According to my dentist, they all help prevent decay.  Erythritol might be a good choice.  Of course, you really don't need it at all if you don't have it.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Ricplate

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 05:04:27 PM »
thank you so much kephra!

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:56:24 PM »
If you own a cat or pet, read this and make sure you keep the xylitol away from them:

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, xylitol is toxic to animals. In cats it can prompt a sudden release of insulin, resulting in low blood sugar, a condition known as hypoglycemia. Signs that your cat may have swallowed a product containing xylitol include a sudden lack of coordination, vomiting, lethargy and, eventually, seizures and possibly coma. Ultimately a cat that eats xylitol may end up with liver failure, resulting in death.

Foodstuffs we eat all the time aren't nearly as good for pets as people think. In dogs/cats, onions will kill them as will chocolate and there are other things but those are the two biggies.  But you don't give them onions, right?  Ever give a cat a little tuna salad made with mayonaise?  Chances are good there's onion or onion powder in the mayonnaise. Perhaps not enough to make them sick but are you willing to take that chance? Such is true for other prepared foods so keeping things that are toxic to our pets away from them for our wanting to give them a treat isn't nearly as easy as you think.  My cat likes homemade chicken soup as an example so I give him a bowl when its done (hypothetically).  About 100% chance there's onion in it.  Keep the soup away from them and give them a cat treat instead - that won't kill them.

Even the cat nibbling on houseplants if you have the wrong ones can prove lethal.

Everyone thinks pets are just like us only different looking.  Not even close.  Dogs are probably the closest physiologically to humans but they're still different enough you need to understand what you can't ever let them get into or else you may have a HUGE vet bill you're thinking about second mortgaging the house to pay or you're out looking for a new pet because the last one didn't make it (sigh) and you probably still have a gargantuan vet bill on top of it!

Be educated about what things can kill/harm your pets if you have them.  Beyond keeping them alive it will save you TONS of money on vet bills as well.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 11:22:00 PM »
Dogs are probably the closest physiologically to humans
I think it the pig.  They are close enough to use their hormones and heart valves.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Ricplate

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 01:51:08 PM »
wow thank you I have cats and love them. thanks again!!!!!!