Author Topic: Maltodextrin vs Glucose  (Read 4154 times)

LionHeart

Maltodextrin vs Glucose
« on: February 27, 2015, 01:17:25 PM »
It seems like malodextrin is a pretty popular reducing agent here on the forum. Unfortunately for me, living in Europe, it's not so easy to find. However, dextrose, or glucose, is available in most supermarkets. So my question is, can glucose be as effective as maltodextrin as a reducing agent and stabilizer?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Maltodextrin vs Glucose
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »
Maltodextrin is a little stronger stabilizer and a little weaker reducing agent than glucose.  It is available in the EU from
http://nutritiondiscount.eu/categories/carbohydrates/pure-carbohyrates/carbo-gain-detail
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

LionHeart

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 02:10:25 PM »
So, since maltodextrin is a stronger stabilizer would it make smaller particles?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:17:02 PM »
No, but it does allow for higher ppm colloids.  The doctor who formulated the colloidal gold tablets used only maltodextrin as a stabilizer, and he claimed he made it to 5000ppm.  I think he centrifuged that then to make the tablets.  The tablets contain 10 mg gold, 1 calories worth of maltodextrin (250mg?) plus binders and excipients.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

LionHeart

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:36:44 PM »
Interesting!

Do you know if glucose or maltodextrin produce the smallest particles?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 02:47:25 PM »
They are the same as far as I can tell by color.  I sometimes make colloidal gold from gold chloride, using either maltodextrin or corn syrup, and they both come out the same exact color of ruby red.

LionHeart

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:12:52 AM »
How about sucrose? Have you tried that as reducing agent? And if so, what is your experience?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 12:15:21 AM »
Sucrose is not a reducing sugar.  You can make it one by inverting it, which turn it into a mixture of fructose and glucose, essentially corn syrup.

LionHeart

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 08:57:43 AM »
And how do you invert it?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
google "how to make invert sugar" and you will get lots of hits.  Candy makers, pastry chefs, and brewers use it.  Its chemically similar to corn-syrup or Lyles Golden Syrup although they are all made by different processes.  You can also just mix equal parts of glucose and fructose together dissolved in water.  Sucrose will not completely invert, so it might be necessary to use more.

milad

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
can i replace cinnamon extract instead of invert sugar in method electrolysis II ?[/size]250 ml hot distilled water
100 mg sodium chloride (table salt ok, NOT sea salt)
110 mg trisodium citrate monohydrate
150mg maltodextrin
**1 ml cinnamon extract**
 or should i directly use electrolysis I ?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 11:45:35 AM »
The only thing you cannot replace is the sodium chloride.  Everything else you can experiment with.

OldMedUser

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 11:49:21 PM »
I get all negative when I hear about the use of maltodextrin in anything I plan to ingest.  I won't eat anything that contains it so why would I want it in something I plan to use to benefit my health?

It's another corn derived product that is killing us all.  At least all of us that don't watch out for it and avoid it.  In Canada it's on food labels as Glucose/fructose but in the US it's mostly labeled in it's true form as HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! Or HFCS.

It is the leading cause of obesity/diabetesII and poor health for anyone that ingests it and it's in everything that is processed and called food.

Over 90% of the corn grown in the US is bT/GMO corn.  Even China refuses to buy US corn.

I could go on for pages about the junk we are fed as real food but unless this forum opens a section for health related subjects other than colloidal silver etc I will bite my tongue.

Peace