Author Topic: Capping Agent: Trying to understand the meaning  (Read 4440 times)

Offline triplea

• Expert
  • Participant
Capping Agent: Trying to understand the meaning
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
Hey guys. I'm not sure if this is the correct section or the article section to post this or not. If it isn't then I do apologize.
I was reading a lot of posts about capping and uncapping and I don't know what it means.
So then I searched for the meaning and I read definition in the glossary: "Capping Agent: A substance which binds to the surface and covers a nanoparticle usually for the purpose of particle size stabilization."

I do apologize, I'm having troubling understanding it. I still don't know what it means and what it does. Could anybody explain it in a simpler way please? Examples, pictures, comparisons or anything that might be helpful. I'm more of a visual learner. I'm still learning a lot of things here.
Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:32:22 PM by triplea »

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Capping Agent: Trying to understand the meaning
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »
I thought my glossary definition was pretty clear, but I guess not.

Think of capping as putting each tiny nanoparticle in a plastic bag so it cannot touch any other nanoparticles.  This keeps the nanoparticles from welding together into larger particles.

Almost anything you put into the water will adhere to the silver particles because silver hates water.  The only way to make uncapped silver nanoparticles is to heat reduce instead of using a reducing agent.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline triplea

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 11:30:31 AM »
Thank you very much for the explanation kephra. Much appreciated.
No I think you do a great job, it's just that I'm a beginner and I just have a hard time understanding concepts, science and chemistry in general.

I see, that's how it works. I read about gelatin and lecithin in the articles and other posts being used as capping agents.
Karo corn syrup is one of the best for reducing agents according to what I read.
What is the best capping agent then? Is it gelatin? Or is there something else?  Or is there no such thing?

Offline Dean

• Expert
  • Participant
    • Social SilverTron Facebook Portal
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:45:14 PM »
Thank you very much for the explanation kephra. Much appreciated.
No I think you do a great job, it's just that I'm a beginner and I just have a hard time understanding concepts, science and chemistry in general.

I see, that's how it works. I read about gelatin and lecithin in the articles and other posts being used as capping agents.
Karo corn syrup is one of the best for reducing agents according to what I read.
What is the best capping agent then? Is it gelatin? Or is there something else?  Or is there no such thing?

Gelatine is the go to as far as capping goes. It should be introduced at the start of the process when going for high ppm (320) as it stabilises the silver during the longer electrolysis process but it can be added to any batch after the fact if you find you need capped for any reason.
A couple of the things to note about gelatine. 1, (recently learned detail - by me that is) is that the particles will be slightly smaller when the silver is made with gelatine (I.E the high PPM batches) around 10nm instead of the more typical 14nm for reduced silver.) and 2, the more gelatine you use, the darker your silver will be even if PPM is low. I.E 20ppm (as made) will be lighter than 20ppm derived from diluting say 320ppm gel capped back to 20ppm 0 when you put them side by side.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 05:31:06 AM »
Simply put, "capping" == "encapsulation".

The gelatine coats the silver particles where the stomach cannot digest the gelatine but the various digestive enzymes in the small intestine can which releases the silver particles exactly where they need to be, to be absorbed into the blood.  For capping the silver particles, significantly more gets absorbed into the blood as compared to ingesting uncapped (sugar reduced) Colloidal Silver.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 01:21:03 PM »
... as compared to ingesting uncapped (sugar reduced) colloidal silver.

Sugar reduced Colloidal Silver is capped with sugar.  But sugar is the first thing to be digested in the stomach, so offers little to no protection.  The only uncapped Colloidal Silver is heat reduced.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline triplea

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
Thank you guys so much for the information, much appreciated.
Interesting, is this why companies use gelatin for a lot of supplements for better absorption?

Does it matter if the gelatin is derived from a plant based? Usually gelatin is animal based right?
Would that have any effect on the process?

Offline triplea

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
Thanks a lot for the helpful information, really appreciated.

Oh I see, they don't work the same. Is there a specific brand of gelatin which is superior to other gelatin on the market? Or a key ingredient to look for on a gelatin pack? Or anything is fine as long as it's animal based?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 06:47:14 PM »
In the US, I use Knox brand. 

I suggest https://www.a.ubuy.com.kw/en/catalog/product/view/id/116683/s/knox-gelatin?sku=B007Y3HM5C&store=US&p-key=0809

The ingredients label should say zero carbohydrates.  This will insure that it is animal based.

Offline triplea

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »
Thanks a lot. I'll look into it and see what's available.

Offline triplea

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »
Hey guys.
I have a few questions to ask regarding the topic on the forum Capping Colloidal Gold or Silver With Gelatin:

I made one batch of 20ppm colloidal silver in a 1 quart maison jar using the SilveTron Elite. It's a nice and clear yellow.
If I want to cap it, could I add the gelatine in the 20ppm Colloidal Silver maison jar and dissolve it in there or will that mess up the Colloidal Silver? Should I just stick with the instructions on the gelatine box?

What's the ideal amount of gelatine to add in a 20ppm Colloidal Silver 1 quart maison jar? 4 or 5 teaspoons?

What reason(s) would you cap a 20ppm Colloidal Silver? Any pros or cons? Or is the sugar reduced Colloidal Silver enough?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »
Hey guys.
I have a few questions to ask regarding the topic on the forum Capping Colloidal Gold or Silver With Gelatin:

I made one batch of 20ppm colloidal silver in a 1 quart maison jar using the SilveTron Elite. It's a nice and clear yellow.
If I want to cap it, could I add the gelatine in the 20ppm colloidal silver maison jar and dissolve it in there or will that mess up the colloidal silver? Should I just stick with the instructions on the gelatine box?
Definitely ignore the instructions on the gelatin box unless you want to make Colloidal Silver jello!
You can add up to 1/4 teaspoon to a quart, and heat it up until the gelatin dissolves.
What's the ideal amount of gelatin to add in a 20ppm colloidal silver 1 quart maison jar? 4 or 5 teaspoons?
See above.
What reason(s) would you cap a 20ppm colloidal silver? Any pros or cons? Or is the sugar reduced colloidal silver enough?
Capping with gelatine protects the silver from stomach acid, which is the big pro for 20 ppm.  It is necessary for making and stabilizing high ppm, like 320.

Offline triplea

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 12:11:32 PM »
Thank you very much kephra.

Should I heat the Colloidal Silver and gelatine in the maison jar that I have or heat it in a small metal pot?
Does it matter whether I stir it or not?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »
I always use glass.  You can heat it in the mason jar in a microwave oven.  You cannot heat a mason jar safely on a hot plate or open flame.

Yes, you need to stir it so that the gelatin is evenly mixed in the solution.

Offline triplea

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 02:27:26 PM »
Once again, thank you very much kephra.
I'll give it a shot.