Author Topic: Sub-Lingual absorption of Silver  (Read 5172 times)

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Sub-Lingual absorption of Silver
« on: November 09, 2015, 03:44:35 PM »
Sub-Lingual Absorption of Silver
Copyright 2016 W. G. Peters (kephra)

Anyone who has had sublingual nitroglycerin, or put DMSO on their skin will attest to the fact that some things will quickly penetrate skin and oral mucosa.  But will ionic or colloidal silver?

Many sites will tell you that you can take colloidal silver (ionic or metallic) via holding it under your tongue.  However, the consensus of scientific and pharmaceutical sites does not support this.

For sublingual absorption to occur:
The drug must be highly concentrated
The drug must be fat/oil soluble
If ionic, the drug must have low pH (acid)
The substance must weigh less than 10,000 daltons1

Neither ionic or colloidal silver can be considered as being highly concentrated. 

Since a silver nanoparticle of 14nm diameter weighs about 6.8 million daltons, absorption of silver nanoparticles would be extremely unlikely.

Neither ionic silver or metallic silver is fat soluble, which also points to the lack of sub lingual absorption.  Neither one is very acidic either.

Quote from: http://www.ijppsjournal.com/Vol3Suppl2/1092.pdf
The absorption potential of oral mucosa is influenced by the lipid solubility and therefore the permeability of the solution (osmosis); the ionization (pH); and the molecular weight of the substances. For example, absorption of some drugs via oral mucosa is shown to increase when carrier pH is lowering (more acidic) and decrease with a lowering of pH (more alkaline) 7, 9.

Lipophilicity of drug: For a drug to be absorbed completely through sublingual route, the drug must have slightly higher lipid solubility than that required for GI absorption is necessary for passive permeation.

Since ionic silver bind strongly to normal human cells because of its electrical charge, the ionic silver will be sequestered before entering the bloodstream.
Binding to oral mucosa: Systemic availability of drugs that bind to oral mucosa is poor.

Since the minimum inhibitory concentration of silver for common bacteria is at least 2ppm which for most people means 10 mg of silver, it is certainly not possible to absorb enough silver by the sub-lingual route even if it were highly absorbable by that route.  Therefore, any perceived benefit is very likely to be caused by the placebo effect.

See also "Enhancement in Drug Delivery" by Elka Touitou and Brian W. Barry for a more detailed discussion.

1 https://learn.pharmacy.unc.edu/pharmacopedia/pharmaceutics411/index.php/Buccal_and_Sublingual
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 09:27:23 PM by kephra »
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.