Author Topic: An observation on latest 320 ppm Colloidal Silver batch and a question  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
Normally when making a batch of 320 ppm colloidal silver I add the gelatin to the water and turn the hot plate on right after I add the gelatin. I wait till the gelatin blooms and turn on the stirrer and as soon as the water looks clear I add the electrolyte and Karo/alcohol blend and then put the electrodes with holder on the beaker, set the SilverTron for the 320 ppm / 250 ml run and adjust the cathode to the correct voltage.

On my latest batch, I got involved doing something else while the gelatin was stirring and forgot about it for about 45 minutes. All of that time the hot plate was running and got the water up to the full temperature that I had preset the heater dial at. When I remembered that I had started a batch, I continued as usual and started the run. I normally clean the cathode at the 50% mark on the green progress bar. When I pulled the electrode holder off of the beaker and cleaned the cathode, I noticed there was much less black buildup on the cathode than what I have become accustom to seeing. What I cleaned off of the cathode looked gray instead of the usual black and there was notably much less of this deposit. I checked the anode and it looked cleaner than what I am used to seeing at the halfway point  so I rotated the bar 180 degrees without cleaning and continued the run. At the end of the run both electrodes were noticeably cleaner than what I have come to expect at the end of the run. Another thing I noticed was that the voltage seemed more stable with only an adjustment or two to the cathode depth during the entire run. Normally I have to adjust the cathode 3 or 4 times during a run.

I am assuming that the reason for this difference over previous batches is that the entire batch ran at the full temperature for the full run from beginning to end instead of gradually heating up as the batch progressed.

My question then is whether it is better to get the water up to full temperature before starting the run or does it really matter in terms of colloidal silver quality?

Art
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:30:05 AM by Art »

pawelk

Re: An observation on latest 320 ppm Colloidal Silver batch and a question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 03:19:36 AM »
I wait until water is hot, then I start...
One observation about the fire cleaning silver coin... At the beginning of making 320 batch I have to fire clean it more frequently, every 15 min. At the end, 30 min or more is enough...

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 03:33:33 AM »
Yes definitely hot enough to dissolve the gelatin before energizing the electrodes.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »
I wait until water is hot, then I start...
One observation about the fire cleaning silver coin... At the beginning of making 320 batch I have to fire clean it more frequently, every 15 min. At the end, 30 min or more is enough...

I'm using the SilverTron bar for my anode and with the water fully heated from the start it does not need cleaning for the full run on a 250 ml batch of 320 ppm. I just have to rotate it at 50% on the progress bar to the clean side and wipe the little bit of gray buildup on the cathode and continue the run.......easier to make this way........as if it wasn't already easy enough! ;)

Art

sbmoore

QUESTION: Could I use 2 1oz bars in a quart run of 320ppm at 15ma?  And would the Silvertron be able to measure the correct time.  Not sure I understand how it is measuring when you use different anodes, either a 1 oz bar, 2 oz bar or just the silver rod?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
QUESTION: Could I use 2 1oz bars in a quart run of 320ppm at 15ma?  And would the Silvertron be able to measure the correct time.  Not sure I understand how it is measuring when you use different anodes, either a 1 oz bar, 2 oz bar or just the silver rod?
You could use 2 1 ounce bars for the anode, but there is no benefit.  Using a 1 ounce bar for the cathode is a detriment as it makes it much harder to maintain cell voltage.

Regarding the SilverTrons measurements, the anode size does not matter.  What matters is the number of electrons transferred through the cell, and thats what the SilverTron measures.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

sbmoore

OK, got my cathode/anode backwards....terminology...anyway, using 2 1oz bars on the positive side (playing the terminology safe) you're saying makes it hard to maintain the current so sounds best not to go there....was thinking it would cut the time since I increased the volume....but holding at 1oz as suggested.  thank you.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
The positive is the anode.  There is no benefit to a big cathode (negative).

sbmoore

es, typing too fast...I had planned on using 2 bars for the anode to speed up the process, but only a silver rod for the cathode.  But after reading your note, I stuck to one silver bar.  I just figure it will take longer as I am making one quart instead of 250ml.  Thank you for the mentoring.  This is very different from what I was previously taught but I think I'm catching on.  I do enjoy doing it this way.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
If you keep your water just hot enough to make bubbles on the bottom of the flask, you should be able to run the full 15ma.  A quart/liter will then take about 320 minutes.  Try to cover the flask so you don't lose too much water.  Otherwise add water as necessary.

sbmoore

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 10:04:16 PM »
Will do!  Thank you!