Author Topic: Anode size and current  (Read 1328 times)

RZR83

Anode size and current
« on: December 12, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »
What is a good rule to follow when it comes to matching current to anode size per square inch? Stong stirring will be applied.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Anode size and current
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 03:36:55 PM »
Searching on the words 'anode size' reveals this quote from Kephra,

"Some sources say it should be 6ma max per square inch of anode.  So for 2 inches of submerged 2mm silver wire, that would be 3 ma.  But with stirring, you can go the full 15ma."
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »
What is a good rule to follow when it comes to matching current to anode size per square inch? Stong stirring will be applied.
With strong stirring (enough to cause non-laminar flow around the anode), you can push the current pretty high.  Without stirring, the 6ma per square inch is probably as high as you can go.  If you see brown smoke falling from the anode, your current is too high.

There is a layer surrounding the electrodes called the Nernst Diffusion Layer.  The goal is to keep the concentration of silver ions within the diffusion layer below the solubility limit of the newly created silver oxides.  When that is exceeded, the silver oxides precipitate and fall to the bottom of the flask.

Vigorous stirring keeps the silver ions swept away into the bulk fluid preventing the precipitation.

Since the solubility of silver oxides varies with temperature, temperature also affects maximum current per unit of anode surface area.

Diffusion Layer
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

RZR83

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 02:56:26 AM »
Thank you for explaining the science behind it. Now that i understand what happens when too much current is running through the cell.
What happens if too much voltage is applied?
What would the max cuttoff voltage be at the specified 37mm anode/cathode spacing.