Author Topic: Abstract from NIH  (Read 2297 times)

Offline chrisflhtc

• Participant
Abstract from NIH
« on: September 13, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »
Could some with more smarts look at this and let me know how this impact us making Colloidal Silver  TIA
Chris
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2292600/?report=classic

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Abstract from NIH
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:30:32 PM »
There is no impact.

These studies always make an invalid assumption.  They assume that the ionic silver will remain ionic silver.  This has been proven false.  For instance, there is a patent for making colloidal (metallic) silver by reducing ionic silver with the exudate from e-coli bacteria.  The resultant metallic silver is what actually kills the bacteria.

The study shows some interesting results.

Fig 1A. (staphyloccus) Without detergent, the ionic silver had no measureable effect on staph.  With detergent, it did have a measurable effect but failed to kill all the staph organisms.

Fig 1B (e-coli) showed that ordinary washing removed all e-coli, so the silver did not make any difference.  Without detergent, silver did have a measureable difference, but did not kill all the e-coli.  What is not shown is whether the detergent itself acts as a reducing agent for ionic silver.

Fig 2A (staph) vs Fig 2B (e-coli) shows that for a given silver concentration, it takes a lot longer contact time to kill the staph organisms.  Perhaps staph is not as good at reducing silver.

The silver concentrations in the report were pretty low, which accounts for the long time required to kill the organisms.  I add silver to my well water I use for drinking and cooking.  Since the silver has a long contact time in this use, I dose it to 0.125 ppm to sterilize it.  We use about 2 gallons (8 liters) for this purpose, and I keep three 2 gallon jugs, the contact time is about 48 hours which should be sufficient to kill everything.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline chrisflhtc

• Participant
Re: Abstract from NIH
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:03:58 PM »
Thank you ;D