Author Topic: 1M Sodium Carbonate  (Read 4336 times)

frosty305

1M Sodium Carbonate
« on: August 20, 2016, 01:50:09 PM »
Please forgive my lack of scientific/measurement/conversion knowledge. 

I'm reading the instructions "An easy Way to Make Collodial Gold"

It states the following in the footnotes:

2) To make 1M sodium carbonate, dissolve 3.7 grams of sodium carbonate in enough
distilled water to make 30ml.

Can i just use the same solution I made in the colloidal silver instructions where it states Mix one level tablespoon of this powder with 6 ounces of water.  Is this 1M also ?

Many, Many Thanks

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: 1M Sodium Carbonate
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 02:25:10 PM »
Yes, but you will need twice as much.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

frosty305

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 11:32:48 PM »
So does that mean the electrolyte solution we made for colloidal silver was only 1/2 Molar ?  Thanks

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 12:09:30 AM »
The electrolyte for both colloidal silver and colloidal gold is 1 Molar sodium carbonate.
But for colloidal gold, as Kephra said, you need to use twice as much.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

frosty305

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 02:03:11 AM »
Thank you !!!  That cleared it up   :)

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 02:04:13 AM »
So does that mean the electrolyte solution we made for colloidal silver was only 1/2 Molar ?  Thanks
To make exactly 1 molar, you have to weigh the carbonate.  Some of the kits I sold had instructions for .5 molar to make it easier to calibrate to the water volume.  I think that is what you are referring to.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

spinningwheel

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 02:08:27 AM »
sick and confused and super slow to comprehend things sorry...
My SilverTron Mini instrustions say "one TEASPOON" of the baked 350 for 30min Baking Soda to 3 oz water.
Looking here on this site it says 1TABLESPOON to 3 oz water.

I just botched a batch (a bit dark color and cloudyish) and am trying to go back over all the steps again for 20ppm reduced silver.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 03:05:18 AM »
The electrolyte solution for the Mini was calibrated for 1 drop per ounce instead of 1 ml per liter.
Hence the difference.

spinningwheel

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 03:32:28 AM »
Thank you, I am going to try again using the SilverTron Mini instructions  [1 TEASPOON per 3 oz, maybe my dropper was too little or big]
I did get some plating on the jar (stirring was just propane stove fire heat on low under the canning jar), and I had to insert the silver cathode (black clip) wire a lot farther in the water than I remember at startup for my green light. .

Edit  to add
I can't for the life of me figure out how 1 teaspoon  in 3 oz of distilled water to make the solution = 1 tablespoon to 3 oz to make the solution of the electrolyte.  My silly slow brain keeps telling the teaspoon mix will be weaker than the tablespoon solution mix; and if I use 24 drops in 24 oz of water, one of them is 1molar strength and one isn't. 
I've seen written on the site thinks like 1Tablespoon of cooked baking soda to 3 oz water = 1molar solution, or; 1 Tablespoon cooked baking soda to 2 oz + 1 Tablespoon of water = 1molar solution. Or other formulas with exact gram weight (which I don't have that accurate of scale) and then add enough water to get 100ml total = 1molar solution.  I have at least 3 different measurements to choose from using the non-gram weighing methods that should get me 1molar solution from which to draw my 24 drops to put in my 24 oz of water to make my Colloidal Silver @ 20ppm. But maybe I don't understand what is meant by 1molar solution, and supposed it to be a specific strength but I see now it doesn't really matter if it's a little weaker or stronger I guess? so confusing for me. sorry.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:23:31 PM by spinningwheel »

spinningwheel

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 05:05:58 PM »
Thank you, I am going to try again using the SilverTron Mini instructions  [1 TEASPOON per 3 oz, maybe my dropper was too little or big]
I did get some plating on the jar (stirring was just propane stove fire heat on low under the canning jar), and I had to insert the silver cathode (black clip) wire a lot farther in the water than I remember at startup for my green light. .

Edit  to add
I can't for the life of me figure out how 1 teaspoon  in 3 oz of distilled water to make the solution = 1 tablespoon to 3 oz to make the solution of the electrolyte.  My silly slow brain keeps telling the teaspoon mix will be weaker than the tablespoon solution mix; and if I use 24 drops in 24 oz of water, one of them is 1molar strength and one isn't. 
I've seen written on the site thinks like 1Tablespoon of cooked baking soda to 3 oz water = 1molar solution, or; 1 Tablespoon cooked baking soda to 2 oz + 1 Tablespoon of water = 1molar solution. Or other formulas with exact gram weight (which I don't have that accurate of scale) and then add enough water to get 100ml total = 1molar solution.  I have at least 3 different measurements to choose from using the non-gram weighing methods that should get me 1molar solution from which to draw my 24 drops to put in my 24 oz of water to make my colloidal silver @ 20ppm. But maybe I don't understand what is meant by 1molar solution, and supposed it to be a specific strength but I see now it doesn't really matter if it's a little weaker or stronger I guess? so confusing for me. sorry.

So I mixed 1 Tablespoon of cooked baking soda, into about 5 Tablespoons of water and am waiting for it to dissolve and then I'll label that as electrolyte solution. (I'll be trying it on 12oz of water to make 12oz of 20ppm silver with my SilverTron Mini and just cross my fingers that 12 drops is right enough... ) It will be stronger than the last batch of electrolyte I mixed up and used in my botched batch; and I hope it works because if not, I'll have to bake more baking soda to try it weaker again,  and then play trial and error until it works I guess. (I hate this brain fog -can't comprehend- can't concentrate- frustrated- confused- state of mind-  from panic/stress mode)

edit to post results... the cathode only needed to be inserted into the water about 1/8 inch or less, and swirling the jar to stir made my Silvertron mini flash red. I get these silver looking dust bits in the water large enough to look like sparkles almost. Then when I add my kero syrup drops, it forms little bits of "stuff" like crumbs on surface of the 12oz distilled water now after 18min turned on, that sink sorta, and the water starts to turn cloudy and I can see smokey clouds forming into more haze. Heating the jar in the microwave gives a lot darker than usual yellow, and the haze is visible with a flashlight shining in from the side, still not as clear as before.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:57:03 PM by spinningwheel »

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
spinningwheel:

You are confusing things.  The Mini instructions are for making a weaker solution of sodium carbonate but using more of it.  1 drop per ounce of colloidal silver is for the weaker solution (.6M)  1ml per liter is for the stronger solution (1M).  You can use either system as long as you make your sodium carbonate solution accordingly.  You also need different amounts depending on whether you are using Arm & Hammer washing soda or whether you are using baked baking soda.  They are different weights per tablespoon.

A teaspoon of baked baking soda is approximately 2.4 grams.  To make a .6M solution (for using 1 drop per ounce of Colloidal Silver), add about 2.5 ounces of water.  This is the ratio for using 1 drop per ounce of Colloidal Silver

If you use premade washing soda which weighs 4.52 grams per teaspoon, you would add that to
about 5 ounces of water for the same strength.  Close enough.

spinningwheel

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 07:59:14 PM »
spinningwheel:

You are confusing things.  The Mini instructions are for making a weaker solution of sodium carbonate but using more of it.  1 drop per ounce of colloidal silver is for the weaker solution (.6M)  1ml per liter is for the stronger solution (1M).  You can use either system as long as you make your sodium carbonate solution accordingly.  You also need different amounts depending on whether you are using Arm & Hammer washing soda or whether you are using baked baking soda.  They are different weights per tablespoon.

A teaspoon of baked baking soda is approximately 2.4 grams.  To make a .6M solution (for using 1 drop per ounce of colloidal silver), add about 2.5 ounces of water.  This is the ratio for using 1 drop per ounce of colloidal silver

If you use premade washing soda which weighs 4.52 grams per teaspoon, you would add that to
about 5 ounces of water for the same strength.  Close enough.
Thank you yes, I come here horribly confused and a bundle of nerves from stress. I Messed up two batches and need to get it made and can't get it right. Kinda just need a stupid simple ... "for your Mini use 1 Teaspoon baked baking soda, and 5 Tablespoons (or what it should be if that's wrong) of water. And thank you again,,, hopefully I'll find this note again in the future if I need it again.