Author Topic: Amount of gelatin for capping  (Read 3425 times)

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
Amount of gelatin for capping
« on: September 18, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »
Hi Kephra!

Re. your tip on amount of gelatin for capping at…

http://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=2709.0;topicseen

…which equals to 31.25 mg gelatin per 10 mg silver.

I have so far used 200 mg per 10 mg silver, but always thought that this was too much (but better safe than sorry).

Anyway, using 31.25 mg per 10 mg means that we can at most make 1 gram or 1000 mg / 31.25 mg * 10 = 320 mg / ppm batches – if 1 gram per liter is the upper maximum before the water becomes jellylike.

I have however, made 500 ppm (125 mg) batches with 200 mg per 10 mg, equal to adding 2500 mg gelatin without getting a jellylike water. I believe that if the gelatin is added to the water when it’s hot makes it less jelly. And this is also the reason why it says on the recipes for using gelatin in cooking, that it should be added to cold water and soaked there for some minutes, to make it jelly. So by adding the gelatin to hot water instead, we can go beyond this 1 gram per liter limit.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Amount of gelatin for capping
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 07:20:11 PM »
Everytime I made the water too hot to dissolve the gelatin, my colloidal silver batch failed several days later.
According to Knox, .25% gelatin will completely gel water, which is 2.5 grams.  At 2 grams, mine became sort of gloppy and not entirely liquid.  Are you using Knox gelatin, because like maltodextrin, the gelling ability is different for different brands. 
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 07:54:24 PM »
Everytime I made the water too hot to dissolve the gelatin, my colloidal silver batch failed several days later.
According to Knox, .25% gelatin will completely gel water, which is 2.5 grams.  At 2 grams, mine became sort of gloppy and not entirely liquid.  Are you using Knox gelatin, because like maltodextrin, the gelling ability is different for different brands.

Ok. Since I'm located in Europe many of the US brands are not available here. I use a brand called Tørsleffs, which is made in Denmark. I once followed the instruction on the gelatin can, and soaked the gelatin in cold deionized water, and the water become little jellylike. And this was also the reason why I started to reduce the amount to less and less. And when I instead added the gelatin powder to the water when it was about 60 C and kept it stirring for 15 - 20 minutes, I noticed that it was not jellylike at all. So I can confirm that gelatin becomes less jelly when added to heated water (but the water cannot boil, as this will for sure destroy the batch).

Most likely, there's big differences between brands of gelatin, as the molar weight also differ a lot, but I still believe that is true - the ability for gelatin to make jelly is higher with cold water and less in warm/heated water.

So I urge you members to try this - add gelatin to water that is at least 60 C and let it stir for some time, and compare that if the same amount of gelatin is added to cold water and left there for some minutes, before the water is heated.

Offline reiyel2012

• Participant
  • French Canadien
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 12:44:14 AM »
Kephra, you tell for making high ppm (greater than 20 ppm)  the gelatin should be in the water during the electrolysis.

If I make 300ppm colloidal silver, can I mix it with gelatin after I made the batch ?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 01:32:25 AM »
If you made 300 ppm without it, you must have used some other stabilizer.  If so, then you don't need the gelatin.  If you add the gelatin first, then you don't need any other stabilizer.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 09:14:49 AM »
If you made 300 ppm without it, you must have used some other stabilizer.  If so, then you don't need the gelatin.  If you add the gelatin first, then you don't need any other stabilizer.

Yes, I use cinnamon extract as stabilizer to make colloidal silver. And from such a completed batch I encapsulate the nanoparticles with gelatin

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 11:53:56 AM »
Why don't you do it in one step?

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 02:26:11 PM »
Why don't you do it in one step?

I tried once, but it became little turbid compared to the batches I've made if I make the stabilized colloidal silver first, and then cap it. It could be a one-time failure that made that batch somewhat turbid. But another reason is, that once gelatin has been added it cannot boiled, as that will destroy the gelatin molecules and the batch.

Anyway, I will  make some more tries, and add gelatin from the start. What's important for me, is that the batches always remains clear without any tendency to turbidity.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
As long as I keep the temperature below boiling while making the colloidal silver, I have not had any turbid batches or other failures.  None have shown any indication of mold growth either. 

If you cap with a fairly strong capping agent first, like cinnamon, how do you know the gelatin actually replaced the cinnamon and successfully capped the Colloidal Silver?  Have you tested with acid?

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 02:46:46 PM »
As long as I keep the temperature below boiling while making the colloidal silver, I have not had any turbid batches or other failures.  None have shown any indication of mold growth either. 

If you cap with a fairly strong capping agent first, like cinnamon, how do you know the gelatin actually replaced the cinnamon and successfully capped the Colloidal Silver?  Have you tested with acid?

I have tested with simulated gastric acid down to pH 1.0, so I know for sure that the nanoparticles are protected by the gelatin (and have also tested with lecithin, which seem to work as good as gelatin, but have the pros that it requires less of it).

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »
I have tested with simulated gastric acid down to pH 1.0, so I know for sure that the nanoparticles are protected by the gelatin (and have also tested with lecithin, which seem to work as good as gelatin, but have the pros that it requires less of it).
Since lecithin is a much lighter molecule, it should take less, as much as ten time less than gelatin.

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 03:46:52 PM »
Since lecithin is a much lighter molecule, it should take less, as much as ten time less than gelatin.

Yes, the molar weight of lecithin is supposed to be between 600 and 800, so it's both less than gelatin, and not as wide min-max. Gelatin is supposed to be between 20000 and 100000.

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 02:11:37 AM »
I am wondering how & where the Lecithin Cap would be digested off of the Silver particles? Obviously not in the stomach since it is able to protect the particles from your salty acid.

I just did a small amount of research & found that Lecithin is produced by our liver & secreted into the small intestine to assist in breakdown & digestion of fats since it is an emulsifying agent. But I could not find where the Lecithin itself is broken down or digested.

Lecithin supplements are highly touted so they must be digested & used I would think. And yet, why would the body go through the trouble of making Lecithin and secreting it into the small intestine if it would just be quickly destroyed?

Lecithin may have some advantages over gelatin but if it isn't quickly removed from our silver particles in the first part of the small intestine (the way we hope gelatin is) then it might not be a good choice.

So many VARIABLES & so little TIME.

tseax

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 12:28:21 AM »
I am wondering how & where the Lecithin Cap would be digested off of the Silver particles? Obviously not in the stomach since it is able to protect the particles from your salty acid...if it isn't quickly removed from our silver particles in the first part of the small intestine (the way we hope gelatin is) then it might not be a good choice.

"A growing body of evidence indicates lecithin is converted by gut bacteria into trimethylamine-N-oxide(TMAO), which is released into circulation, and may with time contribute to atherosclerosis and heart attacks." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecithin#Dietary_supplement

So apparently yes, in the small intestine.