Author Topic: Troubleshooting  (Read 10780 times)

MomRosie

Troubleshooting
« on: March 23, 2018, 02:53:07 PM »
Made 2 batches. The first was clear and I thought looked perfect. The second I reduced and came out looking like baby shampoo. I was so excited. Stored both in a dark cool cabinet. Looked in the cabinet today and they both look exactly the same? Color is identical?! They were both 20ppm. Where did I go wrong? Could it be that straining the silver through a brown unbleached coffee filter before putting it in jars caused the problem? I also used chop sticks for stirring the electrolyte. Everything else I followed what I've read here. 

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 04:28:08 PM »
Silver is so easy to reduce that the slightest impurities in you storage bottle, or production flask will cause it to reduce.  Also fluorescent lighting or strong sunlight can cause reduction.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

MomRosie

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:20:12 PM »
Made 2 batches 20ppm and 1, 30ppm, all 3 were ionic. Needed to use 5 drops of electrolyte to get any ma reading to show. (I first tried with just plain dw at cooler room temp.)
Woke up this morning and all have gone from clear to reduced?! I'm buying 2 different types of dw and alternating between the two to see if that's the problem. I'm rinsing my jars in a 50/50 blend of 91% alcohol and dw and then 3 full rinses in distilled water. They are as clean as I can possibly make them. What am I doing wrong? I'm becoming frustrated. I do not have a gas burning stove so I'm scrubbing my silver bar and wire. They are then washed the same way. I want ionic for topical applications. Mouthwash, nasal rinse and acne. 

MomRosie

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 01:23:29 PM »
And I stopped using the brown coffee filters. They did leave some color in a batch that I threw away. So, for now, it is all not being filtered.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »
If ionic is your end goal, do not use any electrolyte.  It will start very slow and take a long time, but it will stay ionic.  I am starting to believe that the electrolyte itself is causing some reduction.  Did you use Arm & Hammer washing soda, or did you use converted baking soda?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

MomRosie

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 02:08:12 PM »
A&H washing soda. I'm going to buy some baking soda and bake it off. Maybe that will help. When you say slow, how long before something will register ma? I didn't wait too long before I took off the lid and added a few drops of electrolyte. 

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 03:08:45 PM »
It will start very slow with very low current, but will build up with time.  Think hours instead of minutes.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 05:27:58 PM »
MomRosie,

Just a couple suggestions from someone who has made lots of little frustrating mistakes myself. 

1)  Don't rinse with alcohol, just water and DW.  Alcohol is a reducer also!

2)  Don't use any metal to clean your anode and cathode.  Cotaimanates the silver on the rods!

3)  Don't use any electrolyte at all to make your ionic silver.  It will take hours!

4)  Don't use any filter material that has been bleached.  The unbleached coffee filters works fine.

I believe I'm correct on these points, but if not be sure to let me know.  Good Luck!

Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

MomRosie

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 04:34:52 PM »
 Just a couple suggestions from someone who has made lots of little frustrating mistakes myself. 

2)  Don't use any metal to clean your anode and cathode.  Contaminates the silver on the rods!

3)  Don't use any electrolyte at all to make your ionic silver.  It will take hours!

4)  Don't use any filter material that has been bleached.  The unbleached coffee filters works fine.

I believe I'm correct on these points, but if not be sure to let me know.  Good Luck!

Bobby

Thank you so much for your reply Bobby!

1. I used the diluted rubbing alcohol and DW to remove any remaining detergent from the dishwasher and then I rinsed only in DW 3times. Would using a little hydrogen peroxide be better and then rinsing?

2. I've only used a green scrubby. What should I use to then, to clean my silver?

3. I have some time today. I'm going to try!!!

4. The filters were unbleached natural brown filters. I may buy other ones. Can I use a fine mesh steel strainer? Would silicone be better?

I'm learning!!! Thanks for the patience shown to me, I really appreciate the time taken. I'm hoping to become a "Master" colloidal silver maker in time!!!

Have a great day!

Rosi

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »

Yep.
  2)  Don't use any metal to clean your anode and cathode.  Contaminates the silver on the rods!
Very good advice.
Yep, very slow.  Current will start at zero and slowly climb.  You can speed it up after you make the first batch by using 10% of that batch in the next batch as your electrolyte. 
I use a K-cup filter which is fine mesh stainless steel.... never had a problem with that.  No one knows whats really in coffee filters, bleached or unbleached.

Bobby

Thank you so much for your reply Bobby!

1. I used the diluted rubbing alcohol and DW to remove any remaining detergent from the dishwasher and then I rinsed only in DW 3times. Would using a little hydrogen peroxide be better and then rinsing?
Only use peroxide if your glassware is stained, or mirrored.
2. I've only used a green scrubby. What should I use to then, to clean my silver?
Green plastic scrubbees are fine.  You can also clean them by putting them in a blue flame until the black coating turns white.  This re-refines the silver oxide back into pure silver.
3. I have some time today. I'm going to try!!!
Go for it.  You have the only generator that can repeatably make ionic silver without electrolytes.  It will be a little less ppm though because you will get plateout.  It will be repeatable because the SilverTron Elite does not rely on constant current to determine the shutoff point.
4. The filters were unbleached natural brown filters. I may buy other ones. Can I use a fine mesh steel strainer? Would silicone be better?
See above about reusable K-cup metal mesh filters.
I'm learning!!! Thanks for the patience shown to me, I really appreciate the time taken. I'm hoping to become a "Master" colloidal silver maker in time!!!

Have a great day!

Rosi

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 06:21:09 PM »
I have a question. I see that people are filtering their silver at the end of production, why is that needed? I have never seen any debris in the bottom of my finished products except for when I was experimenting and producing ionic silver and the current was above 10 ma and I was not using a stirrer.

Art

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »
Do you have a dog?

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 01:24:48 AM »
No dog right now?

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 02:01:51 AM »
I was wondering about the filtering too.
The only thing you can control in life is your reaction.

MomRosie

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 03:10:40 AM »
No dog here.