Author Topic: Color of Colloidal Silver during electrolysis  (Read 1564 times)

Offline George

• Expert
  • Participant
Color of Colloidal Silver during electrolysis
« on: August 25, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »
Hi,

I have not made colloidal silver in quite a while and now that I need some I started a batch of 320ppm with my Silvertron Elite.
If I remember correctly the first times I had made the color during the electrolysis started from a yellow and slowly went to the dark brownish color we all know. This time I did it, the color never turned yellow. It started to look more like a light brown (like dirty water) and slowly went to dark brown as expected.
My electrolyte and reducing agent are the ones I had first made some months ago but have always been stored in the fridge.
I also see big deposits on my cathode. A lot more than other times.
Any comments/ideas/advice?

Thanks!

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Color of Colloidal Silver during electrolysis
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 05:56:21 PM »
George,
 I have never made 320 ppm Colloidal Silver and had it look yellow at any point during the process. In fact I am making a batch as we speak and it has only shown varying shades of brown.

Art

Offline George

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 06:10:12 PM »
hmmmm....
is it a memory thing then?
maybe I must start on colloidal gold  ;D

Offline WayneInPHX

• Expert
  • Participant
  • Witty saying goes here... Ok--> "42"
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 05:57:56 AM »
When I do 320, there a "yellow" point,  Goes to DEEP DEEP nearly opaque RED, then to opaque brownish.  The test is to dump 1 Tablespoon/15ml  to  7.5oz/222ml  of water.  You SHOULD get the nice yellow.

You are following the recipe for 320 putting in the gelatin, reducer, electrolyte and heating it to about 65c, right?
Most of us don’t listen with the intent to understand.  We listen with the intent to reply.  -  From a TED Talk

"I've decided I'm not old. I'm 25 plus shipping & handling!"

Offline George

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 02:04:51 PM »
When I do 320, there a "yellow" point,  Goes to DEEP DEEP nearly opaque RED, then to opaque brownish.  The test is to dump 1 Tablespoon/15ml  to  7.5oz/222ml  of water.  You SHOULD get the nice yellow.

You are following the recipe for 320 putting in the gelatin, reducer, electrolyte and heating it to about 65c, right?

yes

Offline WayneInPHX

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 03:33:48 PM »
I JUST finished production of a 1L batch of 320 .  It came out GREAT.  I am red/green partially color blind, so I JUST had the wife verify colors - She concurs: Diluted to 20ppm it is amber. As 320 as seen in a 32oz clear boston bottle, it is very deep red and almost opaque.  We look through it up to my dual 4ft LED ceiling light AND outside to the sun.

This time I did it, the color never turned yellow. It started to look more like a light brown (like dirty water) and slowly went to dark brown as expected.
Every time I make it, I get a short period of yellowish.  Contaminated DW?  Maybe something NOT ionic?  I have seen several others who also say they never get the yellow

My electrolyte and reducing agent are the ones I had first made some months ago but have always been stored in the fridge.
I use dry electrolyte. Lately it has been 180mg/L of Sodium Carb for 8.5 PH - THAT deviates. Most times I use exactly 106mg

I also see big deposits on my cathode. A lot more than other times.
DW PH could be off. Also, re-clean your cath to smooth and DON"T flame it.  I too have had funk in the water (in the past) but I fixed it by not touching the cath during production and MOST importantly, ensuring that I am PRODUCING slower than reduction. The only thing I do is rinse it each time  I flame the anode. I generally halt production a few times early in the process to give the solution a chance to reduce when I'm running 15ma.  I also keep the voltage across the cell at 10v. The other way would be to use less current.  My experience has been that once you get close to the halfway point, the necessity for cleaning and re-flaming the anode goes down dramatically.  In fact, today I went to bed at 2am, woke up at 530am and the anode was NOT super blackened at all. When I look through the 32oz bottle it is now in, it is very nearly opaque and has a super deep red color.  I restarted the production at the end of the 320 cycle for a additional 5 min to compensate for the loss in the gelatin collected on the anode/cath and the wee bit more that I put in the flask so I have enough to draw off 15ml for color testing in 7.5 oz of water (20ppm)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:44:59 PM by WayneInPHX »
Most of us don’t listen with the intent to understand.  We listen with the intent to reply.  -  From a TED Talk

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 03:52:13 PM »
I was making a liter of 320 PPM last week. It went for over an hour with no colour developing. When the colour starts it is changing fast. I saw yellow but not for long as it rapidly gets darker to a brown then dark like coffee. It's a long winded process and if you aren't there (watching the paint dry) you could miss it.

I did not get a 'big' deposit on the cathode but did have a black film on it that was wiped off each time I stopped to fire the anode (once per hour). If you are getting a big deposit, maybe your electrolyte is off?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline WayneInPHX

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 04:26:08 PM »
I was making a liter of 320 PPM last week. It went for over an hour with no colour developing.

. If you are getting a big deposit, maybe your electrolyte is off?

Neo, What temp are you holding during production?  This last batch I ran rock solid at 71c

Yea, if he is less than 8.5 PH, THAT would be a problem too.  IF you are using Hydrion paper to test your PH.  Be sure it isn't expired.  The date is printed right where the 2 halves meet, on the cardboard. Incidentally, I JUST purchased some very expensive Microfine 6.0-9.5 and....  The sucker came OUT OF DATE!  Already talked to them about a replacement.  They were unaware and are reordering.  They will ship next Friday
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 05:31:20 PM by WayneInPHX »

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »
On this run I was using my glass thermometer to check it and ensure that it was in the high 70s for the whole run.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline WayneInPHX

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
I find it a little odd that I get yellow ALWAYS and others do not ever.

KEP, your thoughts?