Author Topic: Bullion Friendly SilverTron Electrode Holder  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Dean

• Expert
  • Participant
    • Social SilverTron Facebook Portal
Bullion Friendly SilverTron Electrode Holder
« on: April 03, 2018, 12:26:00 AM »
Well,

I finished it and here it is.

6 little clips breaking down the first test run using the new super duper bullion friendly adjustable beaker height
electrode holder.

Enjoy!

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjraZYqpCts
And I meant Milliamps not amps! (Doh)

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC23HV2a-wg

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jws8k0HGLFA

4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjCE5suGvpo

5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2buWydXC4zE

6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilC8B7YlzNM

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:31:25 AM by Dean »

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Bullion Friendly SilverTron Electrode Holder
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 02:00:54 AM »
That's just awesome!.  I bet that anode will last decades :)
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 06:17:13 AM »
Dean

I bet it does too.  You can pass it on in 50-60 years to your grand children  ;) .  But I want a bar like that. I missed the length and width, but the thickness was 4 mills right?

Our setups are pretty much alike, but I would offer one improvement for safety.  I put my SilverTron on a bowl turned upside down. That way if the colloidal silver container ever breaks or I get clumsy, it won't send a flood of colloidal silver over the SilverTron.  But I really like that bar and setup. ::)

Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 01:10:50 AM »
Hello Dean
I am a little bit confused here
I thought that the purpose of having such a large anode is to have the ability to massively increase the mA thereby reducing the production time but you are still producing your silver using 10mA.
So what is the advantage in using such a large anode?
By the way i took delivery of a 100g(3ounce )999.9 silver bullion bar this week. Drilled a 2.5mm hole near to the top and inserted a 12 guage silver wire to attach.
My test run was 96mA(power supply was set to 100mA but it always drops a few mA when switched on) with 1200ml of DW and the usual EL and Maltodextrin added at the start. I ran for 7.5 mins with a heated mag stirrer and it looks like a good result. I am going to keep it for a few weeks just to observe any possible changes or fallout.
I did make a slight mistake in that i heated the DW to a higher temp(60*C) than i would normally use with my 5000ml batches at 30*C at the start of the run and 40*C by the end but so far so good batch is very clear and a good colour. On a side note i find that i have to drop my cathode deeper in order to stop my voltage going above 31volts because my power supply switches from constant current to constant voltage when the volts go over 31v.
I have also found that the laser thermo does not give a true reading of the temp of the liquid itself. it is usually 3-5*C lower than the liquid when you put a thermo probe into the liquid .
This is no attempt to call you wrong i just want to know more
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:22:01 AM by emanwols »

Offline Dean

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 03:34:42 PM »
Hi Emanwols,

Excellent questions. No offence taken.

Couple of points "back at ya"

This has literally all just occurred. The set of videos was just a trial / test / display of the "new" setup.
What is possible with this setup clearly has some advantages with higher volume production but I just wanted to be
sure that it all worked as intended.

Regarding my setup, the Silvertron has a limit of 15mA so running at the currents you have stated would not be possible. [Kephra?]
I will most likely up the current as you are absolutely correct. This is a major chunk of jewellery!

I generally only make 1 litre batches anyway as I don't sell this stuff so don't have high production needs and don't really see the need to
store it either when it's so quick to make at lower ppm.

I'm pretty sure the temp is also slightly variable (as are most precision scales you get I guess)
so a few degrees doesn't worry me too much.

I've just found that as a rule, lower temps (as longs as they are "high enough" are fine and seem to help me get good clear results.
If I'd known you were on the forum I wouldn't have bothered with the convoluted response to your youtube post! Ha!  :o

Was going to suggest that the best solution was for you to come here but WFT! you already are !!!! 8)

I was really just showing the concept and design of it.

Use may vary from what I do now but it's just nice to have the headroom!

Keep colloidaling my friend! sounds like you have a pretty sound setup there yourself  8)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:12:30 AM by Dean »

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 04:11:51 AM »
hello Dean
Thanks for reply. Actually your videos were helpful in that i did wonder about what effect a drilled hole in the submerged part of the anode might have on final product quality.
With my anode the hole is drilled at the top with 12 guage silver wire to hold it in place but since the whole silver bar will not ever be fully submerged the wear will always be uneven. so now i intend to drill another hole at the very bottom and then after so many runs i will simply switch holes and that way the part that was never submerged becomes useful because it will now be submerged and producing silver(the 12 guage is not rivetted on)
Anymore info as to where your sister got that beautiful anode from would be appreciated.
As to using very high mA for producing i have to tell you that sitting and watching the colour change in 7.5 mins is just magical nothing like watching paint dry- just mesmerising.
As for me leaving comments on your youtube video without letting on that i was already a member here i have only one thing to say-- keyboard in one hand and several cans of larger in the other are not always a good thing.
cheers
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:24:10 AM by emanwols »

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:10:31 PM »
Great job Dean! Thanks for posting the videos. My only suggestion would be to combine them into one video.

Would be nice to have a silver bar like that. I just have the little one ounce bars.  :-[
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Tanya232

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »
Hi Dean

Those videos are so so helpful, well done for posting them.

Can I ask you a couple of questions about your setup.

1. Did you use the lid that came with the silvertron?
2. How did you do the cutout for the anode?
3. I'm guessing you're in the UK - where did you get the anode from?
4. Did you use any particular kind of drill bit to get through the silver?
5. The holder that you use for the anode - is that one of the pieces which comes with the silvertron?

Thanks!
Tanya

Online cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »
Any High Speed Steel drill bit will work.

No doubt Dean will respond in due course, but the cheapest source of .999 fine silver that I have found, is from Argex, at www.argex.co.uk

Tanya232

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 11:45:57 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Dean

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 04:00:18 PM »
Hi Dean

Those videos are so so helpful, well done for posting them.

Can I ask you a couple of questions about your setup.

1. Did you use the lid that came with the silvertron?
2. How did you do the cutout for the anode?
5. The holder that you use for the anode - is that one of the pieces which comes with the silvertron?

Thanks!
Tanya

Hi Tanya,

Thank you for the feedback.
Re. your questions....

1. I used the Silvertron as a pattern. but as it doesn't fit on a flask (only mason jars) I had to make a new one.
So it was complete and new (from thick cutting board) but takes its inspiration from the silvertron lid.
As I was changing the anode, this clearly had to be a new "letterbox" design.
The idea to drill the wire placement holes was possible due to the 155g weight of the anode.
It's so heavy that its own weight provides a rock solid connection but a simple "lift and pull out the wire" operation for separating it.

2. This was done by striking a line across the lid where the anode slot needed to be.
I then drilled a series of 1.5mm holes at quite close centers. Then enlarged them, then enlarged again to a maximum of 4.5mm.
(enough for the anode to drop through).
Then you drop your drill into one of the holes and let it fall along the line you ant to follow. You just basically just keep dropping into
the holes and join them all up. Once you have a single slot, you can then just clean the whole slot up by running the drill and using it
like a file keeping it perpendicular but going back in forth from one end of the slot to the other. I'll try and post a video of me doing it.

3. Yes, UK. I got it from a jeweler friend of my sister. I gave them the dimensions of 4mm x 30mm x 150mm long. It cost £139.00
You just have to make sure you ask for pure silver 0.999 (not hallmarked)

4. Just a regular HSS drill bit.

5. Yes!

Hope this helps.

I did try ot video the process but my phone went dead halfway through.
I also waffled too much ! It would truly have driven everyone mad!

Online cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 09:02:04 AM »
... You just have to make sure you ask for pure silver 0.999 (not hallmarked)
In the UK, you may find it useful, although expensive, to have the electrode hallmarked at the upper end. This would give absolute reassurance that you have purchased .999 fine silver. If you start with a bullion bar or coin, this also achieves the same thing. I would always ask a jeweller to run a small bar or coin through a rolling mill, to get a longer electrode with a bigger surface area.

Nice anode.

Tanya232

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 09:21:44 AM »
Hi Dean,

This is so helpful if you thank you. Can't wait to get to work!

All the best
Tanya

Tanya232

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 12:55:27 AM »
Hi Dean, sorry to trouble you again on the subject of the lid.

I'm having trouble getting a lid made for the cell but I found a 12cm tuppaware lid which fits exactly. Do you or anyone else who happens to read this post,  foresee any issues with heat and the water droplets coming off the plastic and contaminating the water? Particularly for 320ppm when the heat rises is what I was thinking of. It's BPA free as far as I can tell. Thanks again, Tanya

Tanya232

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 01:05:23 AM »
Cfnisbet, thanks for the info on the silver bar. As luck would have it, my husband just happened to lose his wedding ring at the very moment I needed a silver bar. The jeweller making the new ring delivered me a shiny new bar of silver this morning  to the same spec as deans, pre-drilled all for £75, bargain (I think).  Every cloud!